Best reef diving in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ft. Lauderdale shore diving. Cheap, shallow and lots of life. Check out my website for some videos.

Best reefs in Florida would be the Dry Tortugas...end of story.

I wouldn't say that. There are nice reefs, but not the best by any means.

But if you're looking for sharks or big fish to shoot - the Tortugas have that.

I dived Boynton and various areas in the Keys. For convenience, staying at the Holiday Inn on Key Largo was great. You can literally walk out your door to the pier. Having dived mostly in Thailand, I would have to say Key Largo holds up well. For what's worth, IMO go for Key Largo. If you have time you could also consider driving (diving) up the coast and dive a Fort Lauderdale wreck and then hit Boynton. Splashdown Divers was a good outfit. Life's short, why not see and compare for yourself.

Happy diving,

AZ

Everyone is wrong so far :D

The BEST reefs in the state are in Biscayne National Park. There's only one commercial boat that goes there and they only run two trips a week. Minimal diving pressure, no kicked over sponges or sea fans and pristine reef.

The second best is Boynton followed closely by the Upper Keys in my opinion.

Everyone is wrong so far :D

Except for you - right? :laughing:

Having never dived in Biscayne National Park - I now feel I should check it out.

Except for you - right? :laughing:

Having never dived in Biscayne National Park - I now feel I should check it out.

Of course :D

Let me know when you want to go.
They do a pretty cool "wall" dive on Sunday mornings followed by one of their stellar 25-35' reefs. On Saturdays, they do two drops on shallow stuff.

The boat doesn't run with less than eight divers. Being that it's a federally sanctioned concession, they require AOW and a SMB for the wall dive (no exceptions) and a snorkel on every dive. They also limit bottom time to 75 minutes usually even on the shallow stuff. And their trip price includes tanks with no change in price if you bring your own. It's their game and it's the only game in town.

I wouldn't say that. There are nice reefs, but not the best by any means.

But if you're looking for sharks or big fish to shoot - the Tortugas have that.

Really??? Not "by any means?" Have you seen the reefs inside the sanctuary? Do a drift over "Alice in Wonderland" or check out the "Bat Cave." What is better because I need to be diving there?

Really??? Not "by any means?" Have you seen the reefs inside the sanctuary? Do a drift over "Alice in Wonderland" or check out the "Bat Cave." What is better because I need to be diving there?

Yes, really, not by any means, I dove on research vessels for two years inside the sanctuary. As Howard stated the reefs off Boynton are much more colorful (healthy), where constant circulation of the gulf stream and cross-shore littoral drift has minimized (with respect to environmental impacts) bleaching, compared to the Tortugas stable (stagnant) water boundary masses and predominant offshore littoral drift.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom