Best rescue is no rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... gave him the signal to add air to his BC. Instead of adding air to his BC he thought I wanted him to take my picture, gave him the signal again and he took my picture again ...

I couldn't stop laughing picturing the scene in my mind.

Glad everything turned out ok, good job. this reminds me of a phrase written in a TDI manual... "The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which would require his superior skills"
I'm putting that phrase on the bottom of my posts now, signature, now, how do I do that? lol

---------- Post added May 9th, 2012 at 03:40 PM ----------

let's see...

Actually he had already done his deep and nitrox, he stayed up late studying, he was determined to get his advanced quickly.

Didn't seem to do much for his awareness or buoyancy control. Was he breathing nitrox at the time? Sinking 20+ feet below your planned max depth isn't healthy for a nitrox user ... hopefully he learned about that.

Biggest problem with taking inexperienced divers to a place like the Blue Hole ... if one of them has a problem, it's damn difficult to get on your knees and focus on fixing it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Didn't seem to do much for his awareness or buoyancy control. Was he breathing nitrox at the time? Sinking 20+ feet below your planned max depth isn't healthy for a nitrox user ... hopefully he learned about that.

I'm glad it worked out alright. This is a good point. Did the guy learn anything from this or is he destined to be chronically clueless? This should have been a stellar learning opportunity -- better than any of the prior education. Nothing like nearly killing yourself as a wakeup call.

Well not quite, he had another event on the outside of a wall later and I had to do the same thing again he got back to the boat with about 200PSI left we had a talk about what all was going wrong and he said I guess I better start listening to you and he did a lot better after that. He was a doctor and a really nice guy but just had a little trouble listening to a peon.
I'm glad it worked out alright. This is a good point. Did the guy learn anything from this or is he destined to be chronically clueless? This should have been a stellar learning opportunity -- better than any of the prior education. Nothing like nearly killing yourself as a wakeup call.

Well not quite, he had another event on the outside of a wall later and I had to do the same thing again he got back to the boat with about 200PSI left we had a talk about what all was going wrong and he said I guess I better start listening to you and he did a lot better after that. He was a doctor and a really nice guy but just had a little trouble listening to a peon.

Maybe he just needs to slow down a bit and quit pushing it ... sounds like he's not ready for deep diving, whatever he might think. There aren't always going to be people around who are able or willing to help him sort it out at depth ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

He's certainly not ready for solo diving or his camera.

I was the only one of my group that did Blue Hole with a pony tho. Just rarely see those on traveling divers or guides.

In 2010 I got about 150 dives in, doing several liveaboards and a variety of land-based trips. Even though I was diving fairly regularly, the first couple of dives of every trip, I wouldn't even consider taking a camera the first dive or two, feeling like I just wanted to get my bearings again. And I'd been certified for ten years at that point! I can't imagine being a newly-certified diver feeling the need to task load in that manner.

The dive shops push the cameras as they want to sell them one before they buy one online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom