Best scuba advice you’ve received

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More expensive and/or more complicated doesn't mean it's safer or better; it's okay to buy second-hand dive gear.

That's one of the more divisive stickers in all of cave country. It started as an ad for Amigo's, but has slowly turned into the motto of cave divers that think "real cave divers" don't post on the internet. It has really morphed into something different. I personally have grown to dislike it, as has many others. It's not Wayne's fault. It's just a subset of people that wear it like a badge of honor and use it as a way to discredit the comments of others. (not being political, but just making a reference to an example): It's similar to red maga hats. It started off as a great concept (who doesn't want america to be as great as it can?) but has morphed into something very different and into a way for people to push their political leanings.

All of that is very true. I am of the opinion you learn more about your diving from actually diving then you do from reading about.
That said....let's not ignore the fact that posting the comment "Dive more, Post less" in a Scuba forum is funny as it is the opposite of the advice and by default a whole bunch of diggity.

Marie 13 gets full credit for the skip DP and take Helitrox advice. When the opportunity presents, I plan on doing just that. Better to be able to use some Helium, than no Helium from the DP cert.
I think @Marie13 is making better scuba decisions than me 😂 .

I am thinking of doing Tec 1 (on OC) but then CCR with TDI (I am TDI ANDP). Not sure I am making sound decisions here …

Be weighted correctly for buoyancy and trim.

This is some advice I got years ago by miscellaneous people I’ve dived with, never an instructor interestingly.
“You need to shed a lot of weight off your belt. You should have to swim down, not sink like a rock feet first when you dump your air”. This means dialing your weight in so that at the end of the dive your bc wing is empty and you can hold a stop at 15’ and control your buoyancy with breathing alone.
If you can do that then you’re perfectly weighted. Makes perfect sense to me.
That’s for diving around here, other places might be different.

“Get rid of those ankle weights, you don’t need them”. I never miss them.

“Rinse/soak your regulators hooked up to a tank and pressurized”. Been doing this for years now and the insides are always pristine.

“If you don’t need it don’t take it”.
I got rid of a lot of fluff and don’t miss it.

“Slow down, you’re going to miss everything”.
Very true, slow down and take it all in.

"Dive More, Post Less"

All of that is very true. I am of the opinion you learn more about your diving from actually diving then you do from reading about.
That said....let's not ignore the fact that posting the comment "Dive more, Post less" in a Scuba forum is funny as it is the opposite of the advice and by default a whole bunch of diggity.

I think that you can learn from diving more than the internet when it comes to skills mastery, but there is much to be said about discussing things with others outside of your locale. I mainly posted that comment because it looks like you're not a local cave diver, so thought you may not know how the slogan's become a symbol of something it was never intended for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom