Best scuba advice you’ve received

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The slower you go, the more you will see.
This is the advice I remind myself the most, and apply the most frequently.

After that:
  • It's not exactly "advice" received, but rather a minor incident with a loose regulator hose taught me "redundant everything." Soon after, I began to always dive with redundant air-supply, buoyancy, and cutting-devices. On some dives, I add redundant-computer and flashlights.
  • Neutral Buoyancy / Proper weighting makes a MASSIVE difference in all kinds of areas including safety and air-consumption.
  • Save a Dive Kits may save your dive, or a buddy's dive. Nothing worse than not having something like an o-ring or screwdriver, which prevents you from diving. My kit may be overkill, but you can always start simple with o-rings and a scuba-tool.

A few more:

• Every dive you return from safely, is an opportunity to dive again.
    • In other words, don't push safety limits. If you're feeling light-headed, not properly equipped, low on air, or your ego is encouraging you to do something "stupid" .... do the safe thing. You can always do more advanced/cooler/skilled/etc dives later when you're prepared for them.
  • Secure your regulators, where you can find them by feel alone.
  • Practice regulator switching (and all your other skills)
  • Most severe SCUBA accidents tends to follow a 3-strikes pattern. For example: Ignoring a safety rule, having an equipment issue, then panicking. However, in many cases it all started with that first willful act of ignoring a safety rule or standard, without adding appropriate redundancies or backup plans.
More expensive and/or more complicated doesn't mean it's safer or better; it's okay to buy second-hand dive gear.
My Advice: Reasonable money-saving, makes redundancy more affordable. For example, regulators behind on service, but fully functional are great for pony-bottle regulators. If it fails, it's only your redundant air-source, and better than not having a redundant-air-source at all.
Get a p-valve for your dry suit.
"There are 2 kinds of divers. Those who pee in their wetsuit, and those who lie about it."

My best advice was from the former owner of my LDS:
“There is no such thing as bad dive gear. Only bad gear choices for any given dive.”
In 35+ years of diving, I have been through a fair amount of different equipment. The first piece of "bad" dive equipment that comes to mind is a pelican light that came unglued at the rear joint shortly into a night dive. The light was less than a year old & had less than 5 dives on it. It was never handled roughly. It was just a bad light. Pelican replaced it for free. The new one failed in the same place. I gave up on that type of light & changed to something else. The smaller Pelican pocket lights fail at the contacts. This has happened on 3 of those so far. The old Pelican lights from the 1980's were great. They lasted 20+ years. The new ones do not impress me. I consider them to be bad gear. Bad gear does exist.

I see very inexpensive Chinese regulators on Alibaba. I expect that they are probably also bad gear, but I have not tested them, so I don't really know. I see small Chinese pony bottle systems sold there with a high pressure hand pump & no filtration or moisture removal. I feel pretty certain that is bad equipment.

Dive plans must be consensual. If you've just explained the dive plan to a new (insta-) buddy, ask him or her to repeat it to you. Never assume that your buddy understood or agreed with the plan no matter how many times you saw them nodding as you spoke.

There is definitely such thing as bad gear.

I swear on my life that some dive gear manufacturers design their masks, fins, snorkels and BCDs like the Homermobile.

They get a focus group of holiday divers who are just certified and ask them “would this be cool?” Result is always heaps of gear manufactured with new, proprietary “features” that either: don’t work well, are pointless, or add additional failure points.

Case in point: oceanic dive computers came for years with pretty robust pins for the straps that needed to be screwed into place with an F1 driver. Oceanic decided to introduce easily user-changeable “fashion” strap colours, swapping the old pins for watch-style sprung pins that could be released completely by pulling a little lever. Massive failure point introduced for absolutely no real reason at all.

(Or snorkels with those floaty things on top that close when the snorkel’s submerged, but never work properly anyway).

There is DEFINITELY bad gear.

(Or snorkels with those floaty things on top that close when the snorkel’s submerged, but never work properly anyway).
Agreed with most of the post; I think it's true of life in general, that some products or "innovations" are terrible.

Though, that's not a reason against trying to innovate. I never use snorkels, but having a purge at the bottom is way nicer than breathing back in your own air, or having to dump the snorkel-tube every time water splashes in the top.

oceanic dive computers
As part of various used-scuba-gear-lots I've bought over the years, I've received countless oceanic consoles/computers, and they all kind suck in some way. There probably are good oceanic dive computers out there, but the ones I have are terrible. I think I have half-a-dozen of those 1-button models, and then a couple of those gigantic heavy air-hose-integrated ones.

Avoid Mexican food, especially meals heavy on beans, the night before a planned long decompression dive.

EDIT: I never actually got this advice. There are things you learn from advice and things you learn from experience. I suggest the rest of you learn this from advice.

The good news? When you fart in a dry suit, it doesn't change your buoyancy.

Back
Top Bottom