Best Scuba Company for Blue Hole Diving - Staying @ X'tan Ha Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That said, though, and it bears mentioning- the diving in Belize otherwise is quite remarkable and inviting.

Lots to see, lots going on- more than just "the hole". Belize is a Caribbean treasure... well worth the trip.

A Once you've done it, many experienced divers relegate it to a "logbook dive" or "ticket punch" experience.

I used to feel that way, since the first few times I dove it was from a boat from San Pedro. As mentioned, it was a long ride out and frankly, if it wasn't for the great diving out at Halfmoon Caye next door, I probably would have clocked it up as a "been there, done that" dive. The depth of the dive there, was no biggie, since it's pretty typical of the depths we dive at home, but I was never thrilled at being surrounded by several boats full of people I didn't know, most of whom were WAY past their comfort zone and and ALL of us were under-equipped with no one having redundancy of any sort. Honestly, the only thing surprising about the number of "incidences" out there is that there aren't more of them. As a photographer, it was very difficult to get a decent shot due to the random limbs in my way.

Having said this, the past couple of years, we have stayed out at Long Caye at Huracan Diving. The BH is about a 15 minute ride away so we are finished our dives there before anyone else has even arrived. Last year, we ( "We" being me, my wife, a friend and our guide perhaps) had a number of fantastic dives. There was no one else there at all, so we had great vis, the sharks hadn't been spooked and we dove areas not normally visited.

I'm looking forward to our return next month. I've decided to add a stage bottle to my kit this year although all of us are gas-misers so it's unlikely to be needed...

As others have mentioned, if you are a novice diver, I'd give it a pass, however, I'd still take the trip because I think the diving in that area is the best in Belize.

Stuart
we have just joined Scubaboard, our new manager has been on here for years... but just so everyone can see that it's the dive operation posting we made our own login. Thanks for the mention. We look forward to seeing you again, or to meeting you for the first time for some of us!

As you know - at Huracan we don't make a "Big Thing" out of diving the BlueHole, it's one of our local dives and we go reasonably early at 7am so we can be back for a big breakfast on the caye. I think that it is made a Big Marketing Thing by the mainland/Northern Caye operators because it DOES have to be such a long day (up at 5, 2/2.5 hour boat ride - minimum 15 or so divers or whatever, squeezing in Half Moon caye AND lunch AND two other dives in before that endless journey back). We treat it as a local dive which it is... a 12 minute boat ride vs our other local dive boat times of between 2 and 10 mins.... and sometimes guests want to dive a second dive in the very middle of the Blue Hole just spotting shark... at 40 feet which is fine for us... sometimes they don't want to bother diving it at all!

Our new manager was delighted when, on coming up from the BlueHole dive, we found three other boats from San Pedro and C Caulker moored up.. each getting ready with .... minimum 15 divers.

If there's somewhere you've a specific request for don't hesitate to let us know - we aren't completely full and so we will always try to accommodate your group as best we can!

Do remember to travel with your bottle empty through the air travel won't you...
Thanks
see you next month Stuart!

I love Blue Hole threads. Because I get to contribute my nugget of wisdom:

Planning a trip to Belize, I once asked a wise diver whether the Blue Hole was worth it. The wise diver replied, "No, it's not worth it. But you will dive it anyway, and then when someone asks you whether the Blue Hole is worth it, you will wisely reply, 'No, it's not worth it,' and that person will dive it anyway."

Belize diving is great. But the Blue Hole isn't going to be the highlight, and you might feel it wasn't worth the effort.

And I love Blue hole threads cuz this is where I get to say thst I very much enjoy diving the BH and always have. That said, I wasn't a new diver my first time in. Yes it is an all day trip but I still enjoy it very much. The two follow-up dives are sublime and lunch on the idyllic Halfmoon Caye is hard to beat. Now having said all that, the weather needs to be nice too for it to be a perfect way to spend a day. Remember, cheapest isn't best. Go with Amigos del mar. Best boat, great crew, very experienced, well organized, good lunch, rum punch served on the way home, if you are into that.

Do remember to travel with your bottle empty through the air travel...

It's really for another thread but understand that airline regs require an "open cylinder", which means something entirely different.

Back to to the popcorn.

Do remember to travel with your bottle empty through the air travel won't you...

Actually, my plan is to bring a stage kit and use your tank! :wink:

see you next month Stuart!

And we can hardly wait... marking the days down on the calendar!

Yes it is an all day trip but I still enjoy it very much.

I agree... It's not like a nice boat ride through the Atolls is a bad experience... Although remind me to tell you about how our boat was almost sunk on the way back to San Pedro many years ago. And then the boat that rescued us almost sunk too. We got back at 11:00 PM, much to the relief of the non-diving spouses! :shocked2:

What's the story behind the wreck on the reef between TBH and Lighthouse Caye? Anyone know?

Stoo, were you diving with Aqua Dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom