Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the dye bio degradable? Dye is only for air rescue. You could get a radar reflecting SMB instead if you want more visibility. Good for air and sea. Check out DAN and Custom Divers.

According to its SDS: http://www.kelloggmarine.com/msds/OLI-Orion Safety Products/Fluorescein Dye Marker.pdf - no bio degradability data available for the mixture (Sodium Fluorescein, Sodium Bicarbonate & Adipic Acid). However, it lists the following aquatic toxicity:
Sodium Fluorescein LC50 for rainbow trout of 1372 mg/L in 96h
Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) LC50 for rainbow trout if 7700 mg/L in 96h
Adipic Acid for fathead minnow 97mg/L in 96h.

I assume the mixture would be diluted quickly in the open ocean to below LC50 that would be harmful to aquatic life and I hope I won’t ever use it. So, it’s good enough to have it in my safety kit.

DAN has a rescue steramer, years ago
See Rescue Streamer

I like this. Just like a gigantic SMB. Here are the dimensions of the small and large size:

Thanks for the questions: The small personal streamer comes in a holster and is 2 inches in Diameter x 6 inches in Length when stowed. It weighs 7 ounces. It deploys to 6 inches wide by 25 feet, including two military-grade chemlights and 6 SOLAS-grade Retroreflectors. The large streamer (boats/rafts/vehicles comes in a metallic foil pack and is 3 inches in Diameter x 11 inches in Length when stowed. It weights 13 ounces. It deploys to 11 inches wide by 40 feet, including four military-grade chemlights and 12 SOLAS-grade Retroreflectors.

According to its SDS: http://www.kelloggmarine.com/msds/OLI-Orion Safety Products/Fluorescein Dye Marker.pdf - no bio degradability data available for the mixture (Sodium Fluorescein, Sodium Bicarbonate & Adipic Acid). However, it lists the following aquatic toxicity:

I assume the mixture would be diluted quickly in the open ocean to below LC50 that would be harmful to aquatic life and I hope I won’t ever use it. So, it’s good enough to have it in my safety kit.

I know this can be useful but I'm having a hard time being comfortable with dying the ocean. It's quick dispersal also means it really needs to be used at the moment a SAR aircraft is flying overhead or in the immediate vicinity, but cannot see you.

Last edited:
DAN has a rescue steramer, years ago
See Rescue Streamer

Thanks for posting it. It would be useful in land. I might carry it when I go hiking in the remote places.

For being lost at sea, I think it’ll be similar to DSMB lying flat on the water surface. So I’ll stick with the DSMB with signal mirror & marker dye when I spot & hear an airplane passing by.

Fluorescein dye is used routinely by marine scientists.
If you need it to save your life, is there really an issue here?

Fluorescein dye is used routinely by marine scientists.
If you need it to save your life, is there really an issue here?

Not in my book, especially when my life is at stake.

We also use Baking Soda all the time in cooking our food. The Adipic Acid will be neutralized by the slightly basic pH of the Baking Soda in the same Marker Dye. From what I know (as Chemical Engineer) and read from its SDS, this Maker Dye is safe for use.

Cool sponge video! Thanks for sharing.

I hope I’d never need to use it.

I have a sneaky feeling / a bit of Murphy's Law; that those of us with an above average amount of safety equipment won't ever need rescuing!

in more detail and asked the sellers whether the devices are safe / allowed for air transportation & for diving.

From the PDF it seems like a hazardous product, so I'm wondering if it's possible to fly with it. Did they respond to you re this aspect?

... Not sure it would be useful for a boat searching.

I think it would be very handy if there are swells ... beautiful coloured wave crests (for how long I don't know).

...From the PDF it seems like a hazardous product, so I'm wondering if it's possible to fly with it. Did they respond to you re this aspect?...

Not allowed by FAA. I talked to the seller over the phone. He said it is explosive product and it is therefore forbidden to fly with it.

Reactions: Jay
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom