Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m confused again. Doesn’t Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) transmit 406 MHz alert signal to LEOSAR & GEOSAR? I don’t see Smartfind S10 is doing that. It only transmit VHF to AIS. That’s why McMurdo says Personal AIS Beacon, NOT PLB. To me S10 is just a different form factor of MRG.

From the description on their website, the Smartfind S10 is like the MRG, though only using the AIS system. It looks to be much bigger than the MRG and it's only waterproof to 60m, instead of the 130m of the MRG. It doesn't appear to have a user replaceable battery and it seems easier to operate, as there's no need to deploy an antenna... just pull a safety pin and twist the bottom.

So is the McMurdo SmartFind in direct competition with the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS? The McMurdo SmartFind looks more compact, which would be nice.

Thankfully, I see on McMurdo's website that they do NOT confusingly refer to the SmartFind as a "PLB." I'm familiar with McMurdo's FastFind line of PLBs.

Actually McMurdo Smartfind S10 (S10) is bigger than Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS (MRG). S10 would transmit only AIS while MRG would transmit both DSC & AIS alert.

From the description on their website, the Smartfind S10 is like the MRG, though only using the AIS system. It looks to be much bigger than the MRG and it's only waterproof to 60m, instead of the 130m of the MRG. It doesn't appear to have a user replaceable battery and it seems easier to operate, as there's no need to deploy an antenna... just pull a safety pin and twist the bottom.

I didn’t see your post when I posted mine on S10 vs MRG. At least we agree on the MRG being smaller than S10 & both transmitting AIS :)

People seem to loosely use the term PLB for both VHF & 406 MHz signaling device.

Ah. I didn't realize until now that the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS (MRG) is considerably smaller than the original Nautilus radio. For the record:

Nautilus MRG is more or less boxy in shape, at 75mm x 97mm x 39 mm (2.9" x 3.8" x 1.5")

McMurdo SmartFind S10 is more or less cylindrical, at 199mm (7.8") long and 51mm (2.0") in diameter

Ah. I didn't realize until now that the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS (MRG) is considerably smaller than the original Nautilus radio. For the record:

Nautilus MRG is more or less boxy in shape, at 75mm x 97mm x 39 mm (2.9" x 3.8" x 1.5")

McMurdo SmartFind S10 is more or less cylindrical, at 199mm (7.8") long and 51mm (2.0") in diameter

Right!

S10 is known as PAB (Personal AIS Beacon), not PLB, according to Personal AIS Beacons - MyBoatsGear.com

Speaking of PAB, Ocean Signal has the smallest PAB, MOB1 - Ocean Signal

When it is activated, it would transmit dual VHF alerting signal (DSC & AIS/GPS) just like MRG. DSC is for boats which still use older Marine Radio & AIS/GPS is for boats have more recent AIS on board. I don’t see if S10 is capable to transmit DSC alert.

Height x Width x Depth = 134 mm x 38 mm x 27 mm
Unfortunately it’s waterproof to only 10m depth.
So, I still prefer MRG for taking a PAB to dive.
CA263738-7B99-4042-98AA-FA6BC1841DC0.jpeg

In Yacthing world, PAB is also known as AIS MOB (Man Over Board) device. Tested: AIS MOB devices – Yachting World rate MOB1 9/10, better than S10 (8/10). MRG is not included in the evaluation.

If I have a choice, between the MOB1 and S10, I would pick S10 from depth rating. I won’t dive deeper than 60m. Otherwise I need to put MOB1 in waterproof enclosure.

Last edited:
Their statement "one of our PLBs ... paired with ... ['another device' that is] a computable GPS-ready VHF radio" is totally confusing. Surely the "computable GPS-ready VHF radio" refers to the current-generation Nautilus. If so, what is the PLB, and what do they mean by "paired with"?

I got a reply from Lisa Povedano of Undersea Hunter group. They just have the old Nautilus Lifeline (NLL). See the picture taken from their webpage, below. Here is her explanation (notice that she refers the NLL as beacon locator, not PLB):

“Dear Dan,

I think there is a bit of a confusion on our conversations on regards to the Nautilus Lifeline and Avi`s article on Undercurrent.

The Nautilus Lifeline is a GPS and a beacon locator. It will be useless only as a GPS if it does not give out a location beacon distress signal.

I thought that you were initially asking us if we offered more than one GPS/Beacon Locators, which is why I said we only provide Nautilus Lifeline GPS. I didn't realize that you thought the Nautilus is ONLY a GPS and not a beacon locator.

Each Nautilus Lifeline has an assigned MMSI number registered to Undersea Hunter. It works with our radio frequencies, which is also a standard radio frequency for distress signals. So if one of the Lifelines are turned on, we will immediately receive the distress signals on all of our radios, as well as get the exact GPS location, and MMSI code, so we will know exactly which diver turned it on on which skiff they were at, so we will know which dive site was visited, which makes the rescue more accurate and faster.

We know who turned it on, because we assign an equipment locker to each passenger, and each locker corresponds to an specific Nautilus Lifeline with its own MMSI that we provide to our divers. The vessel contacts the skiff, and immediately we start the search and rescue.

So for example you are assigned to locker 1, it corresponds to MMSI #12313 (made up number just for example purposes), and the MMSI are registered to Undersea Hunter. So if one is activated and other vessels that hear it, they will be contacting us too about the beacon being turned on.

The signal has a long reach. I will send you exactly its mile radio reach tomorrow, when I have a chance to check the specifics of this with one of the Captains.

What Avi refers to for Personal Locator Beacons (as in a person having their own PLB) not always being reliable, is because not all PLB are alike or accurate, or checked regularly for efficiency, for battery life, or not on the right frequency, or not suitable for deep diving, then they might not work at all when needed. He refers to this being a problem on liveaboards that do not provide their own LBs (Locator Beacons, be it Nautilus Lifeline or another brand), then the distress signal of the diver with his personal Locator Beacon might never be heard.

Yours for example it says that is waterproof up to 15 meters, I am not sure if that means for the beacon7GPS activation, or for its overall functionality. I would think it can go to 35 to 40 meters safely which is our diving profile, as it says it is an Ocean Signal. But please check this too with your PLB provider, manufacturer.

We are checking with the Captain too if yours is compatible with our radio frequency, according to the specs from the Ocean Signal page you sent us. As soon as I know this, I will let you know.

Is it clear now? If not, just let me know.

I think that the confusion also arises from Avi referring to our Nautilus Lifelines as Personal Locator Beacons, when in reality they are just Locator Beacons (& GPS), as they are part of our operational gear, and not a personal equipment item from the divers themselves.

Anyways if you have any other questions or something is not clear, just let me know.

Best wishes,

Lisa Povedano
Reservations Dept.
Undersea Hunter Group

US Toll Free: 1800-203-2120 / Costa Rica: + (506) 2228 - 6535 & 2228 - 6613
Mon to Fri, 8 to 5 (Costa Rican Time)”

54E0919F-802A-449E-9B5F-832A072490B2.jpeg

Last edited:
So it seems "paired" was used confusingly in the article not to refer to two devices that are paired with each other but rather to a single device--a Nautilus Lifeline--that, as anyone familiar with the Nautilus Lifeline knows, integrates two features together.

Thanks for inquiring, Dan.

So it seems "paired" was used confusingly in the article not to refer to two devices that are paired with each other but rather to a single device--a Nautilus Lifeline--that, as anyone familiar with the Nautilus Lifeline knows, integrates two features together.

Thanks for inquiring, Dan.

It helps clear up my confusion too as personal locator beacon is loosely used by people for all of these similar devices (PLB, PAB, MOB, etc.). Thanks for asking.

I’ll leave my MRG home when I’m on board Argo, but I’ll still carry my PLB1 as a backup to their NLL. I asked Lisa to give me the Argo’s satellite phone number so I can give to my emergency contact (my brother) to call if / when NOAA were to contact him to verify the distress signal coming from my PLB1. Hopefully it won’t happen, but better to have it than sorry. Knock no wood.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom