Best small and light reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From personal experience, I’ve put hundreds of dives on the mikrons (not sealed) in sub 50 degree water........I haven’t done that with flights and nor would I. Zero issues.....

Mikron is warm water only. You could add an environmental seal kit if you want, it would be the same as the Titan or Core kit, but that still doesn't make the 2nd stage suitable for cold water.

Do you have anything from AL that says the Mikron is warm water (+50) only? I’ve gone through the website and the manual and it just recommends procedures for all its regs for use under 50 degrees.

Do you have anything from AL that says the Mikron is warm water (+50) only? I’ve gone through the website and the manual and it just recommends procedures for all its regs for use under 50 degrees.
No, I don’t. In general, I strongly suggest that for ANY regulator, if specific information is not provided you should assume it is NOT for cold water rather than assume that it is.
I will verify tomorrow at my shop, but I am confident that you will find the Mikron 1st and 2nd stages are both stamped “EN250A >10C”

The EN250 standards have changed over time, but current version is from 2014 and any regulator set sold in the EU is evaluated for performance at depth, with an octo, and freeze resistance. If marked “EN250A” without the qualifier, then it is cold water rated. I would still suggest if you are diving in temps below 40F to choose a reg designed for “extreme” cold, which admittedly is not an established standard.

And to be clear, cold water regs are not guaranteed to never freeze, and warm water regs will not instantly freeze up at 49F. How the reg is dived and breathed is also a huge factor in whether or not it MIGHT freeze.

No, I don’t. In general, I strongly suggest that for ANY regulator, if specific information is not provided you should assume it is NOT for cold water rather than assume that it is.
I will verify tomorrow at my shop, but I am confident that you will find the Mikron 1st and 2nd stages are both stamped “EN250A >10C”

The EN250 standards have changed over time, but current version is from 2014 and any regulator set sold in the EU is evaluated for performance at depth, with an octo, and freeze resistance. If marked “EN250A” without the qualifier, then it is cold water rated. I would still suggest if you are diving in temps below 40F to choose a reg designed for “extreme” cold, which admittedly is not an established standard.

And to be clear, cold water regs are not guaranteed to never freeze, and warm water regs will not instantly freeze up at 49F. How the reg is dived and breathed is also a huge factor in whether or not it MIGHT freeze.
Yep. It’s on the newer models. You will not find it on the pre14 revision or older models...

62139255-80C1-49D5-88D9-69DF323D516F.jpeg

E614653B-0F2A-47DD-9FD4-A1E86521C812.jpeg
E614653B-0F2A-47DD-9FD4-A1E86521C812.jpeg
That’s good info, thanks......water here in the Pacific northwest is 10 C (48 degree) and they work just fine. Now if I’m heading up to do some iceberg dives I don’t think those will cut mustard. These are a couple of mine, definitely pre 2014, you are correct sir!

In case it isn't clear, the sets you have are the design that was not accepted for cw use. They were made before the standard and the marking was defined, but also were never designed for cw. To do so, Aqualung would have started with an environmental seal on the 1st and a heat exchanger on the 2nd.

Same continuous design on 2nd since 2008, minor changes to first in 2017.

In case it isn't clear, the sets you have are the design that was not accepted for cw use. They were made before the standard and the marking was defined, but also were never designed for cw. To do so, Aqualung would have started with an environmental seal on the 1st and a heat exchanger on the 2nd.

Same continuous design on 2nd since 2008, minor changes to first in 2017.

I think it’s pretty oblivious that these regs (all mikrons) are designed for +10 water......if your are diving significantly colder than that.....then another reg would be recommended. I dive in 10 C water.......no issues.

:deadhorse:

Back
Top Bottom