Best Snorkle out there??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost my most recent snorkel in Mozambique last month. But, I saw a new snorkel by Kapitol Reef at DEMA that you might want to check out. It has an advanced dual airway design with a valve that mimics positive end expiratory pressure (PEEP) familiar to ICU's, which the physician inventor claims makes it easier and more relaxing to breathe. He told me he plans further development and testing of different pressures.

It is a bit pricey and bulky compared to the cheap trimmer snorkels I usually use on the rare occassions I use one diving. I have not tried it yet, but it got Editor's Choice in Sport Diver Magazine 2007 equipment guide.

I haven't bought a snorkel in years, any favorites? Need for scuba when required by boat but might do some regular snorkeling with family while beach side? Totally dry model worth it? Collapsible model?
Thanks in advance for your impute.

OK Here's how it ended. I bought a snorkel at Maui Dream Dive company before a scooter dive. I realized after posting this thread I couldn't have all things- but I think I came pretty close.

I got a TSA ($20) that folds in 3 parts. Not quite a rollup but fit well into the bc pocket. Used it all week diving and then for snorkeling too-

One thing is that I was doing scooter dives and really needed something as a back up in case we needed to come back on the surface.

I didn't have it hanging off my mask but it was still a strong enough tube for cruising with a DPV. Bought the wife one the next day-

Thanks for all the responses-

Ketchumid:

I might be old school these days, but my favorite for years has been the US Divers Impulse. It's gone through several iterations over the years, but still works better than most of the less expensive snorkels. Wide bore makes it easy to breathe and dual purge valves make it easy to clear. I've taken it through rough water and calm and it's a piece of cake to work with. Little bulky if you're a serious freediver, but that doesn't sound like what you need it for. I don't usually wear mine while diving and I've never had a boat require it either. Comes in flex and rigid, and my personal preference is rigid but that one's up to you. You can find them on ebay in the $20-$25 range or at the retailers for anywhere from $40-$60.

The Kapitol Reef snorkel that divepsych mentioned has gotten really good reviews and seems to be a fantastic product. It's pricey at $89 retail, but wow, looks like an amazing piece of engineering. For me the price is difficult to justify at the moment, but this is definitely one I would consider if money were no object!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom