Best Snorkle out there??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ketchumid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have'nt bought a snorkle in years, any favorites? Need for scuba when required by boat but might do some regular snorkling with family while beach side? Totaly dry model worth it? Calapsaple model?
Thanks in advance for your impute.

I don't think there is one snorkel ideal for both. If you plan to wear the snorkle while diving, something bulky with too much crap pulls at your mask all the more than something simple. If you want to carry but not wear a snorkle while diving, I think a collapsible model that you can stash someplace is best. Unless you like to wear it strapped to your leg or have someplace else good to put it then something simple and non-collapsible can work. Anything with big dry dohickeys on it gets in the way no matter what you do with it while diving. I carry an Aqualung snap when diving.

For snorkeling, I like semi dry models. Something with a purge and a splash guard but not big huge things. I have a tusa hyperdry, which can actually fold up enough to stash in a big pocket if you have one.

I've never experienced a boat that required a snorkel.

Given that it will see some snorkeling use the next question becomes one of conditions.

Where I am some wash-over is to be expected at times. I can clear a simple J tube as well as anyone but after a while the salt and break in rhythm annoy me. For those reasons I enjoy a dry snorkel. No real research went into my Genesis Mojave Dry, but it serves me well.

If you stay closer to placid fresh water there is less need to have anything more than a simple J tube.

For warm water diving I have a snorkel that is a plain open tube on top with a flex bottom. The Mojave valve cage bothers my near bald head without a good hood.

In the end it's all about preference.

Buy one, if you decide to try something else it will at least be a good loaner/save-a dive item.

Pete

Thanks- good thoughts and your right, may need two. I've expierenced while diving in the US more boats require it. I'm off to Maui and in the past Maui dive shop requires one while scuba shack did not- I guess the larger operations have more of a blanket policy-

Also, after reading the recent dive accident books seems like a snorkle could be worth the hassel in some situations-

Thanks agian

For a collaspible snorkel I like the Oceanic. It's best feature is the Oceanic snorkel lock. Kind of velcro on steroids. You can get the snorkel locks at leisurepro for about $5. If I am snorkeling, I use a dry snorkel fitted with Oceanic's lock.

For a collaspible snorkel I like the Oceanic. It's best feature is the Oceanic snorkel lock. Kind of velcro on steroids. You can get the snorkel locks at leisurepro for about $5. If I am snorkeling, I use a dry snorkel fitted with Oceanic's lock.

I have the Oceanic pocket snorkel and love it.

Vanessar

A purge valve is worth the extra $10-15 you might pay for on a snorkel, and a purge valve isn't usually much bulkier than a regular J-tube. If you're snorkeling too you might want a splash guard, though with the purge it's not absolutely necessary. Also, if you are getting one with a splash guard try to get one that is removable. That way when you dive you can take it off and it won't hook in your hoses or cause other problems. Any other gear is just useless crap that gets in the way.
The collapsables are handy for scuba, but most I've tried aren't worth bothering with. I'd say if you spend more than $40 on a snorkel you're probably throwing away money for nothing, especially since as far as scuba goes you'll be using it for maybe 5 minutes per dive. And for snorkeling you really shouldn't be out when waves are breaking on your head, so a basic snorkel is adequate.
I don't know if you are a freediver, but if you are you might also consider that bigger snorkels are going to be more difficult to breathe through.
This doesn't need to be complicated; my advice is find a snorkel, try it, buy it, and forget about it.

I've been living in Maui for the last two years and I've never heard about the snorkel requirement, and I've been on Ed Robinson, Mike Severn, Maui Dive, and one or two other boats.

Ketchumid,
You can't go wrong with this snorkel. It is a popular snorkel amongst freedivers. It is somewhat collapsable... meaning that if you set a tank down on it and crush it, or fold it over, it will restore to its original shape. It is not intended to be folded up for long periods of time like some other scuba snorkels. There are different schools of thought regarding purges and other snorkel accessories. I prefer just a snorkel without purges or any extras.

I lost mine a few weeks ago in Cozumel cleaning my mask over the side of the boat (small boat). Never liked diving with one but in the ocean it is the right thing to do. Picked up a clapsaple XScuba for $20.00 and stick it in my BC pocket. Used it once for snorkling and I liked how it worked.

My wife has a fancy pink total dry Tilos one that I have used (lost mine). It still gets water in but looks so good. Ha, ha, ha.....

I use a Beauchat Tubair skindiving snorkel. Simple, large bore, flexible no frills snorkel; I can fold it up in to a BC pocket, but it still has more stiffness than any of the "collapseable" snorkels. Good purge technique virtually eliminates the need for a purge valves. I've been out in choppy water for 1 hour+ free diving sessions with long surface swims with out any problems. I'll never go back to using bulky snorkels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom