Best strobe for an Olympus E-PL6?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miffy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I just bought an Olympus E-PL6 and am looking for a Housing and Strobe set.

I'm also a newb when it comes to UW Photography.

I'm looking for advice for a good 1 strobe set-up (that allows me to expand to 2 in the next 2-5 years or so when I get more comfortable with UW photography).
I've heard good things about INON over Sea and Sea, however I'm seeing lots of packages for an entire UW kit that includes the Sea and Sea YS-01 strobes. Why is that?

Also, what's the difference between the flexible arms and rigid arms? Is one better than the other? I'm assuming the flexible arms allow for easier movement when adjusting your strobe?

I've also been searching high and low for the Olympus EP-PT10 Housing but haven't found a good price lower than $700. Anyone have any advice?

Looking to buy in the next day or so! :)

Being somewhat new with strobes my self I can tell you that the flex arm will not give you as much adjustment as the ridid( if you are talking about the ball joints) arms. I used my wifes after her strobe crapped out and I was able to get the strobe where I needed it instead of "in the neighborhood" with my flex arm. Hope this helped some.

Flex arms are light and cheap. They're easy to maneuver under water. The longer they get, the more floppy they are, less so under water. If you bump a flex arm, you'll change your strobe angle. Flex arms squeak when you move them and drive your buddies crazy. Flex arms make it very easy to change strobe angles between shots. If you use a genuine loc-line strobe arm, you can make it longer or shorter in seconds. If you use flex arms, make sure you have a solid tether on the strobe itself. Flex arms can come apart, leaving your expensive strobe sinking (or floating if it's positive). A piece of fishing line works nicely if you're not using electrical sync cords. Sync cords work great for saving your sinking strobe. (anti-sink sync cords?)

Hi, I just bought an Olympus E-PL6

Congrats to you. Sounds like a nice start

…. I'm seeing lots of packages for an entire UW kit that includes the Sea and Sea YS-01 strobes. Why is that?

Sea and Sea seems to do a better job at US marketing than Inon does. Just visit both websites and you’ll see who is catering to whom. I think they do a better job of packaging and distributing their equipment. I personally have not used the current YS lines, but really haven’t heard anything bad about them. I have used the YS-110’s in the past. They were adequate at the time. I switched to Inon and have not looked back.

Also, what's the difference between the flexible arms and rigid arms? Is one better than the other? I'm assuming the flexible arms allow for easier movement when adjusting your strobe?

The price point for the flexible arms is a bit lower than the reticulated arm/ball/clamp setup. I prefer the latter as it allows for a good range of adjustment and feels more secure, especially when your crashing overboard with thousands of bux worth of gear. After a few years of diving, you’ll find Poseidon lays claim to many a things lost to the seas. Flash diffusers, lens caps, slates, dive knives etc. The more stuff you can secure underwater, the better off you are.

I've also been searching high and low for the Olympus EP-PT10 Housing but haven't found a good price lower than $700. Anyone have any advice?

Looking to buy in the next day or so!

good luck….dont forget the add on port you’ll need. Welcome to the never ending pocket draining hobby of UW photography.

I recently purchased a similar set up: ELP-5, 2 - YS-01's, and the Olympus housing. I love the setup. I added a Zen dome for my 9 - 18mm lens for wide angle shooting. I think you will enjoy your EPL-6 and highly recommend the Sea/Sea YS-01 strobes. PC070288.jpgPC070291.jpg

Hello.
I'm thinking to buy a Olympus PL6 and housing, I got before a SEA&SEA 2G. Do you like pl6/5? How it works without strobe? And how it works on UWvideo?
Thanks

PD: good strobe ys-110, 01 or D1 from sea&sea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom