Best Thai Island to learn to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasheep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I'm on a 9 month honeymoon with my husband, and we're currently travelling through southeast Asia. We're on our way back to Thailand, and I'm gonna get my PADI certification there. I've never dived before.

I'm thinking of going to Koh Tao, as it sounds like a fun, easy place to learn. And it sounds like Easy Divers is recommended there. Thoughts?

Thanks

I know Koh Tao gets a lot of negative reports on here but I love the place. In answer to your question I'd easily say its the best island for learning to dive, you simply have so many options. It may not offer the best diving in the Kingdom but its one of the best places to learn. Personally I would recommend Crystal Dive.

I would recommend phuket. Koh tao does have negative reports and there is a reason for this. There are many quality operators there but there are also alot of operators that are only intersted in pumping out certs to make money and the care and attention you receive is minimal compared to what you need to become a confident&safe diver. Overall it comes down to the attitude of your instructor. If their passionate about the marine enviroment they will make sure your well instructed. so where ever you choose meet your instructor first before signing up for a course and find out his attitude to diving. Hope that helps.

I would recommend Phi Phi. The Bida island are very easy to dive and it would be very comfortable for a OW diver.

dreams4divers:
I would recommend phuket. Koh tao does have negative reports and there is a reason for this. There are many quality operators there but there are also alot of operators that are only intersted in pumping out certs to make money and the care and attention you receive is minimal compared to what you need to become a confident&safe diver. Overall it comes down to the attitude of your instructor. If their passionate about the marine enviroment they will make sure your well instructed. so where ever you choose meet your instructor first before signing up for a course and find out his attitude to diving. Hope that helps.
hi aquasheep,

the cert process dreams4divers is talking about happens everywhere in Thailand from what I've learned, and at all levels of training. as it happens, I've heard such reports about centres in Phuket. just wherever you choose, ask around about the good centres. one of the main instructors in crystal dive on koh tao worked with me a few years back and he is a very good instructor and a nice bloke. although unfortunately i can't comment on the centre itself.

best of luck wherever you go and i hope you enjoy your dives.

Totally agree with the above, you get good and bad instructors and dive shops everywhere. I did my OW in Australia years ago and can't fault it ... Thailand is a little more lax when it comes to standards and operations.

There are lots of dive schools in Koh Tao and they all operate at the same standards, more or less.

A more important thing is finding a good instructor.

At Easy Divers, I can recommend Rene - very good, attentive instructor. Inspires a lot of confidence an is one of the few instructors there who actually cares. Friend of mine, tell him we have some mantas waiting in the Andamans for him :)

Crystal also has a couple of good instructors - there's a Danish guy (Stik?) and a German lad who's quite good as well.

Vandit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom