Best time of year in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarada

Contributor
Reaction score
Starting to plan a trip for 2012. What time of the year is best in the Philippines? Looking for warm, clear water.

I would recommend avoiding the wet season (southwest monson) which is during May to October. Locals call this monsoon "Habagat". It is more rainy during this period and you may get really unlucky and have your trip coincide with a typhoon (we get several a year, bringing heavy rains, winds and flooding). Even during this period, you can still get prolonged sunny periods and nice water conditions... roll the dice.

The 'dry' season is from November until May. This is the northeast monsoon, called "Amihan" locally.November and December are typically the cooler months. Water temperatures can drop in some locations, requiring 3-5mm wetsuit. Most people here just enjoy the cooler, less humid weather though. Temperatures rise in the new year, peaking during April-May, when max temps are around 35C.

It can also be worth avoiding the primary Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter, as a large percentage of the population will travel to visit relatives etc at these times... so getting internal transport (bus, plane, ferry) can be very difficult.

Thanks much for the advice.

I would be looking at mid Nov to early Dec and Feb to early May.
Chinese New Yr is from 23rd Jan onwards avoid it as well.

I will disagree (as always). I live in the southern part of The Philippines - The Visayas - and we do get some typhoon activity in the summer but its the best time of year to dive the region. 85% of the time its hot, blue skies and the sea is like glass. We have had no dives cancelled this summer due to weather. Same as last year. Andy (DevonDiver) is in Luzon which does take more bad weather around now as the low pressure careers north always.

Personally I would consider this time of year as it is quiet around the country, dive shops are less busy and here on Malapascua it is THE BEST time to see Thresher Sharks.

The Philippines does not get a 'monsoon' like you might experience in Thailand with weeks and months of cloud cover. Its more like dramatic tropical down pours lasting an hour and giving much needed fresh water to our aquifer!

Reactions: Heg
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom