Best time to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the best week to go to the Cayman Islands (Little Cayman)? My dates are extremely flexible and I can go anywhere from end of this month to sometime next year.

If I go during the week of May 23 to June 6, how large to the silverside schools get? Looked like weatherwise, that would be ideal but I'm afraid the schools will be a lot smaller so early in the season. Later, I assume hurricane risk becomes much greater.

I want to see a special event when I'm down at the Caymans since I can go anytime of the year.

What's the best week to go to the Cayman Islands (Little Cayman)? My dates are extremely flexible and I can go anywhere from end of this month to sometime next year.

If I go during the week of May 23 to June 6, how large to the silverside schools get? Looked like weatherwise, that would be ideal but I'm afraid the schools will be a lot smaller so early in the season. Later, I assume hurricane risk becomes much greater.

I want to see a special event when I'm down at the Caymans since I can go anytime of the year.

The best time (for diving) is from mid-April to mid-August. From mid-August to the end of October there is a possibility that a hurricane will cancel your diving. From November to to March you get somewhat colder water and, significantly, more wind.

The silversides are at their height in July & August; sorry I can't be more specific. Of course, luck plays a part.

The best time (for diving) is from mid-April to mid-August. From mid-August to the end of October there is a possibility that a hurricane will cancel your diving. From November to to March you get somewhat colder water and, significantly, more wind.

The silversides are at their height in July & August; sorry I can't be more specific. Of course, luck plays a part.

Does moon phase matter with the sealife?

I thought hurricanes/tropical storms started in late June? Cause I'm leaning toward July now though I think temperatures are scalding then (but I'll be underwater most of the time anyway so am thinking it doesn't matter as much - hopefully I'm right).

I prefer diving the sister islands of Little Cayman and Cayman Brac but I am not sure about the best time/place for the silversides.

You might have a hard time finding accommodations, available dive ops, and/or flights to Little Cayman at this late date (unless you are talking about 2016?)

Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac may still have some openings during May through July this year; but they are closing August through mid-November to build a new beach bar and pool.

Greatest risk from hurricane/tropical storms is July(end of), August, & September------later you have US cold fronts(November--end of--, December, January--& a little into early February)...saying that, we've been in July, Sept & Oct with no problems........Trying to figure out Mother Nature is truly a roll of the dice......

I'm leaning towards one week in either the last half of June or 1st half of July.

What are the odds I'll see silversides anyway during that time period? I know no guarantees with nature but I'd like to at least have reasonable odds of seeing them if I'm going to risk hurricane season for them. Definitely worth the risk if odds are say 70% or so. But not worth it if I've got like 15% chance. Thanks.

I'm leaning towards one week in either the last half of June or 1st half of July.

What are the odds I'll see silversides anyway during that time period? I know no guarantees with nature but I'd like to at least have reasonable odds of seeing them if I'm going to risk hurricane season for them. Definitely worth the risk if odds are say 70% or so. But not worth it if I've got like 15% chance. Thanks.

By asking the DMs, you can find out whether they are around and, if they are, dive the sites where they have been seen. If someone has spotted them, you will be able to see them too. But what are the odds they will be here during your week? I can only hazard a guess: it's about 50/50.

I'm leaning towards one week in either the last half of June or 1st half of July. What are the odds I'll see silversides anyway during that time period? I know no guarantees with nature but I'd like to at least have reasonable odds of seeing them if I'm going to risk hurricane season for them. Definitely worth the risk if odds are say 70% or so. But not worth it if I've got like 15% chance. Thanks.

Here is a link with the statistics for hurricanes and tropical storms in the Caribbean; but there are no guarantees - Micronesia was recently hit with a typhoon and it is not typhoon season.

Hurricanes and Storms

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom