Best type of rechargeable batteries for Inon Z240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhunteriii

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to purchase rechargeable battteries for my Inon Z-240 strobe. Does any one have experience using rechargeables with it? Can it use CRV3 batteries?

I only use rechargeables.

I have Sony and Sanyo mostly. Both are excellent. I use 2300, 2500 and 2700 (not mixed :wink: ). All will give me at least two 90+ minute dives using the strobe on high powers extensively. They will last longer than that - not quite twice as long, but close and you can eek out some power at the end of dive four usually - but I usually just dump em out and put new ones in for a new day.

Inon had some heat issues with the newer Type III strobe and recommends only peneloop batteries. I believe these are the same batteries as the precharged Kodak and Duracells which are somewhat cheaper but all 3 are around 2100mah. I've used all kinds in my Type II but have decided to stick with the recommended types for low heat. I'm unsure what to expect because I was using duracell 2650's with no problem.

Yup - Inon does state (rather extensively) in their literature to use only Sanyo eneloop batteries if using NiMh batteries in a type 3. I bought a nice set of them at my local Costco (8 AA, 4 AAA, a charger and some AA to C and D adapters) for $26.00.

I had LOADs of issues (heat and holding a charge) with my YS-110 with 3 different brands of batteries at 2700. The only ones that were trouble free were my 2000 batts..... I am switching to Eneloops for next week's dive. In fact, I got that same package that Daz got....but two sets. Comes in a nice carrier box right?

I use 2700 NiMh batteries in my YS 90's - no issues. Haven't got my Z240's (Type II) in the water yet but I'm gonna switch to Eneloops. I have read of issues with high capacity batteries even in Type II's, not taking any chances.

Here's an interesting note about the Eneloop batteries. If you look on ReefPhoto.com's website and I believe you can find it also on the Inon website somewhere it calls out for the Eneloop batteries for the D2000 Type III strobe.

However, in mice type in the instructions INSIDE the box of batteries from Costco it says "not for underwater usage".

I called Sanyo and they verified that they should not be used underwater. When I questioned this they told me the batteries produce a gas.

As I don't have a type III I returned the batteries. However, somehow this issue needs to be resolved.

I called Sanyo and they verified that they should not be used underwater. When I questioned this they told me the batteries produce a gas.
ALL NiMH batteries including the Sanyo Enenloops will produce hydrogen gas under some circumstances. This is true of virtually all battery chemistries, including NiCad, and lead acid/gel cells.

Small amounts of gas are produced when charging. Large amounts of gas are produced when over-charging or reverse charging.

When in use, the thing that can cause large amounts of gas is the reverse charging off a weak or partially charged cell that is in series with a bunch of other cells. As you use the strobe or flashlight, the weak cell (or the one you forgot to charge fully) gets completely discharged and then as you continue to use the strobe or light, the voltage across the cell reverses and it starts to generate significant gas. This may cause the overpressure seal on the cell to open up and it loses electrolyte, further reducing its capacity and making this problem more likely to happen again after you have charged up everything and use the strobe or light again.

A simple way to reduce the probability of problems like this is to ocassionally check the voltages of each cell after use. Replace any cell whose voltage is much less than the other cells.

Hmmmm....I am almost certain that all my 9 GP 2700 batts give off a lot of gas when used....in fact, the batt cover comes off with a loud "pop"! This, only after a few shots after which the strobe refuses to recycle. I have not been brave enough to place a lit match outside when I remove the cover though....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom