Best U.S. Location to Live for Scuba??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwnca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This forum seemed the most appropriate. I was looking for some thoughts as to the best United States city for scuba diving.

My thoughts are to go beyond just diving, but take things into consideration as to cost of living, job availability, schools, climate, and maybe general location to other aspects of life such as snow skiing in the winter, etc.....

That's a good question. San Diego was very nice. The diving was different but surprisingly cold. But there where a ton of other things to do.

I have about 5 years to go before I can retire. I don't think that I would like to leave Bennington permanently but I think about Florida a lot during the winter. If I were a Florida resident I would strap on the gear and go lobster hunting with the other old guys ever weekend. You do need a license.

Well it would depend on what kind of diving you like - freshwater, saltwater, warm water, cold water, caves, coral reefs, kelp, wrecks, marine mammals, sharks...

I live now in Northern California, so I'm use to cold water, but do like warm water diving. Also have never dove fresh water.

Speaking generally, I was just looking for peoples' thought on the matter. I'm a point in my life where I can consider moving just about any where.

Where I'm now is fine, but think I'd like to at least entertain other locations regardless of the local scuba conditions being fresh, salt, warm, cold water, caves, coral (very nice by the way), kelp, wrecks, marine mammals, sharks (thinking not so nice).....

I was also hoping that when people gave there thoughts, that the justification given would go into other aspects of life such as those I mentioned in the initial post.

Thanks

I don't know what you do for a living but Albany NY is slated to be the Silicon Valley of the East. The State of NY and some Universities have teamed up with Symiteck (SP) to do some major expansion.

Albany has a low crime rate. 150 miles from NYC and diving in New England. It is a very old city with a lot of history, fine museums and nice people.

I'm just where I want to be... Catalina... at least until I get a little older. Then maybe the warmer waters of the Florida Keys?

Dr. Bill

If you can stand all the Snow Birds, (forgive me) New Yorkers, the outragious traffic and the summer heat, anywhere on South Floridas Atlantic cost is great for diving. Lots of reefs, wrecks, fish and lets not forget the Lobster.

Mini Season is fast approaching. Do you know where your Lobster gear is?

Scott

So happens I'm a software engineer. I'll have to look into Albany. Only thing, I'm not sure about those extreme winters though. :)

Snow sucks!

We have some awesome spearfishing on the GulfCoast of Florida and not near the amount of crazies as South Florida.

GO BUCS!

Back
Top Bottom