Best value canister for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I dove with someone last night who just purchased one of these ... and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The color's a little more blue than myTerkel light (not sure why, I thought all the HID bulbs were pretty much the same). The beam has a nice spot and penetrated fairly well ... although we had pretty good vis last night (maybe 20 feet or so).

There's a magnetic switch on the light head for turning the light on and off ... I think that's a nice feature. Instead of a goodman handle it uses a velcro strap ... but given the small size of the light head that seems an effective option. The canister unscrews into two pieces to take out the battery ... not sure how effective that is over the long-term in terms of keeping water out of the canister, but it appears to be well-milled so it's probably just fine.

My only initial concern would be with the strap-mount and the three "hose" clamps holding it to the canister. They're mounted such that if you want to wear the light on your waist strap the clamp heads (where you insert the screwdriver to tighten/loosen the clamps) will be rubbing up against your suit. That could cause wear problems with your suit unless you create some kind of "boot" to cushion the wear points. You could probably remedy that by just loosening the clamps and moving them off to the side ... not sure, we didn't try taking anything apart to see how it would work.

Overall it appears to be a really nice light for the money.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Was that a 13 or 6 degree bulb?

NWGratefulDiver:
I dove with someone last night who just purchased one of these ... and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The color's a little more blue than myTerkel light (not sure why, I thought all the HID bulbs were pretty much the same). The beam has a nice spot and penetrated fairly well ... although we had pretty good vis last night (maybe 20 feet or so).

There's a magnetic switch on the light head for turning the light on and off ... I think that's a nice feature. Instead of a goodman handle it uses a velcro strap ... but given the small size of the light head that seems an effective option. The canister unscrews into two pieces to take out the battery ... not sure how effective that is over the long-term in terms of keeping water out of the canister, but it appears to be well-milled so it's probably just fine.

My only initial concern would be with the strap-mount and the three "hose" clamps holding it to the canister. They're mounted such that if you want to wear the light on your waist strap the clamp heads (where you insert the screwdriver to tighten/loosen the clamps) will be rubbing up against your suit. That could cause wear problems with your suit unless you create some kind of "boot" to cushion the wear points. You could probably remedy that by just loosening the clamps and moving them off to the side ... not sure, we didn't try taking anything apart to see how it would work.

Overall it appears to be a really nice light for the money.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, Thank you for the detailed reply. I have a little time before I can dive up here so I am investigating every light I can. That one is still in the running for sure. I also like the OMS light but unless I can get one pre-loved I don't feel I would ever recoup the cost.

Signed:
Still looking

5615mike:
Was that a 13 or 6 degree bulb?

6-degree ... from what I understand the 13 degree bulbs are recommended for video work (no spot).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom