best value in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
Welcome to Scubaboard! Pretty house. What drew you to Dominica? What does the diving compare to? Anything that is peculiar to the area?

We were drawn to Dominica because of the mix of SCUBA and above water activities - i.e. rainforest hikes to steam vents, sulfer springs, and water falls.

Some aspects of diving were similar to Bonaire - coral gardens, easy diving, close dive sites, lack of current, small fish. Not shore diving. There were walls to dive, but not as dramatic as Bloody Bay or Coz. There were swim throughs like a lot of places.

Bear in mind, the most unique aspect is diving on a dormant volcanic caldera. The coral is growing on a granite surface that is visible. This, in itself, is pretty dramatic. I have dived on the Big Island, which is a volcanic hot spot, and Hawaii has no coral to compare to Dominica. Frankly, I think Dominica is a must dive location. The local color and lack of infrastructure can be viewed either as the Caribbean, the way it used to be, or squalor.

ckerl once bubbled...
The local color and lack of infrastructure can be viewed either as the Caribbean, the way it used to be, or squalor.

Interesting way to put it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom