Best way to deal with random cuts on knuckles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I get random cuts on my hands typically on my knuckles, likely brushing against other equipment while clipping and unclipping stuff.

Normally I just let them heal naturally as I typically go a week between dives and they are fairly shallow. But I want to do more trips with multiple diving days. I was thinking about using one of those liquid bandages, anyone tried that? Does it work well with diving?

... liquid bandages, anyone tried that? Does it work well with diving?
Just my 2 cents to add to others that hop on. You know I just dive saltwater (except for showers) Nu-Skin is the best liquid bandage for me. I've had open cuts that should have taken stitches but I didn't. The Nu-Skin goes all the way into the cut and completely seals it. It will start to peel a tiny bit around the thin exterior where I spread it out for coverage. But most importantly it allows me to keep diving 3-5 dives without re-applying it. I do wear hexarmor gloves, but I don't baby the deep cuts with tossing gear, grabbing lobsters and reaching in holes underwater. Nu-Skin is the toughest out of all of them, IMHO.

As far as knuckles, I thought you were allowed to wear gloves with the fingers cut off so you can "feel / OK " a mainline if no viz?

I get random cuts on my hands typically on my knuckles, likely brushing against other equipment while clipping and unclipping stuff.

Normally I just let them heal naturally as I typically go a week between dives and they are fairly shallow. But I want to do more trips with multiple diving days. I was thinking about using one of those liquid bandages, anyone tried that? Does it work well with diving?
super glue.

Maybe consider fingerless tech gloves.

595-504.jpeg

Get regular super glue. The gel type is absolute trash for skin repair. Nu-skin and liquid bandage are just overpriced lesser quality super glues. Loctite or Gorilla Glue brand imo. I use it for everything that isn't a deep fissure and for cuts that probably needed stitches.

Attachments

• 20230710_193934.jpg
    20230710_193934.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 29
Maybe consider fingerless tech gloves.

View attachment 791954
This. I thought that gloves were dumb for a long time. Totally unnecessary. Then the halcyons came out and they were comfy when I tried them on so i said screw it and bought a pair. I’ve been more than happy. I never realized how many annoying little bumps or cuts or irritations I would get handling multiple bottles and pulling in high flow. I actually find bottle manipulation easier now cause ai don’t have to worry about knuckle bumps. Which I kinda ignored. Now without gloves I can’t ignore it them cause I know better now.

I have never needed or used gloves in the cave environment but...If I had your problem I'd definitely try fingerless gloves.

You can get these thin cut resistant gloves from hardware stores. Like these ones: https://www.voelkner.de/products/36...MIjceYhdmGgAMVihYGAB207gD9EAQYAiABEgJ7t_D_BwE

You probably have these in the States as well and you can cut off the fingers if you want to. They're cheap, are pretty though and you don't really lose dexterity with these.
Don't get cuts and try to glue them. Getting tiny cuts infected sucks.

I definitely wouldn't buy halcyon tec gloves for 50 bucks (or any other neopren glove). It's a rip off and neopren gloves are pointless when you don't need the insulation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom