Best way to deal with random cuts on knuckles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking about using one of those liquid bandages, anyone tried that? Does it work well with diving?
I never got "Ginnie fingers" during cave class, but when I started learning stage bottles I would tear up my thumb on the bolt snap over the course of a week, so I used liquid bandage. It worked great. But along the lines of what @Boarderguy said, it seemed no different than superglue to me--maybe slightly more viscous or gel-like, that's all.

You can get these thin cut resistant gloves from hardware stores. Like these ones: https://www.voelkner.de/products/36...MIjceYhdmGgAMVihYGAB207gD9EAQYAiABEgJ7t_D_BwE

You probably have these in the States as well and you can cut off the fingers if you want to. They're cheap, are pretty though and you don't really lose dexterity with these.
Don't get cuts and try to glue them. Getting tiny cuts infected sucks.

I definitely wouldn't buy halcyon tec gloves for 50 bucks (or any other neopren glove). It's a rip off and neopren gloves are pointless when you don't need the insulation.
My wife used the gloves you listed, just a 'merican brand.
As for the tec gloves, that's your opinion but I disagree somewhat. I too thought why the f would I need neoprene. I've tried cutting down multiple gloves to use over the years. None have been as comfortable as the halcyons. I'd prefer not to spend $50 on them, but for me they're worth it. My wife just got a pair and she agrees they're more comfortable than the gloves you have linked above she was using.
So yes, I definitely see your point, but after multiple attempts to use other gloves I'm sure I've spent way more than I did on the halcyons just to have gloves I didn't like. Its actually why I went gloveless for so long. They weren't comfortable until I found the halcyons.
Multi stage handling is where they shine.

My wife used the gloves you listed, just a 'merican brand.
As for the tec gloves, that's your opinion but I disagree somewhat. I too thought why the f would I need neoprene. I've tried cutting down multiple gloves to use over the years. None have been as comfortable as the halcyons. I'd prefer not to spend $50 on them, but for me they're worth it. My wife just got a pair and she agrees they're more comfortable than the gloves you have linked above she was using.
So yes, I definitely see your point, but after multiple attempts to use other gloves I'm sure I've spent way more than I did on the halcyons just to have gloves I didn't like. Its actually why I went gloveless for so long. They weren't comfortable until I found the halcyons.
Multi stage handling is where they shine.
I just meant that you don't have to spend 50 bucks when you're just looking for something to avoid cuts. I like the hardware store ones because they're so thin.
Unfortunately I have to wear gloves on (almost) every dive and I found that all the 50 dollar 2mm and 3mm gloves from whatever brand all suck as they rip and cut very easily.

I just meant that you don't have to spend 50 bucks when you're just looking for something to avoid cuts. I like the hardware store ones because they're so thin.
Unfortunately I have to wear gloves on (almost) every dive and I found that all the 50 dollar 2mm and 3mm gloves from whatever brand all suck as they rip and cut very easily.
I gotcha. I just wanted to make sure it was clear I didn't choose the halcyons due to some brand loyalty. They're just really much more comfortable than everything else I tried. I agree that I'd prefer not to spend that much on gloves.
The other brand I really liked was from Northern Diver ( I think they're a UK brand). First time I went to the Lot I had never dove dry gloves and didn't want to learn in a new cave in a new country. Bought the 5mm northern divers and was very very happy with them. They're just pricey too. I tried some mechanic's and construction style gloves that I cut the fingers out of but they were never as nice.

I gotcha. I just wanted to make sure it was clear I didn't choose the halcyons due to some brand loyalty.
Last pair I bought was from 4th element. They were 50 bucks too for 3mm mil... it's nut for what it is. They're pretty much ready for the dumpster after 2 or 3 trips.

+100 for regular superglue. I even keep a little tube of it in a zip lock bag in my SAD kit. I put it on everything, cuts, burns, blisters (after popped). You really can't feel anything once it's on there and it's good for at least 48 hours or more. Especially great when the damage is in a place that keeps getting bumped / rubbed. You just don't feel a thing. I say it's almost miraculous.

My wife thinks I'm so weird... glad I'm not the only one.

As far as knuckles, I thought you were allowed to wear gloves with the fingers cut off so you can "feel / OK " a mainline if no viz?

Maybe consider fingerless tech gloves.

Stop hitting your hands on things.

Fingerless gloves otherwise.

I presently wear Mechanix Fingerless Gloves. The cuts are just outside what the gloves cover.

I never got "Ginnie fingers" during cave class, but when I started learning stage bottles I would tear up my thumb on the bolt snap over the course of a week, so I used liquid bandage.

Do you know specifically what is cutting your hands? Maybe try and deburr it?

If I were to guess probably the hose clamps. I'll take a closer look at them when I get home in a few days.

Try sports/athletic/first aid tape. wrap the spots that get cut before you dive.

I've used these both with and without the fingers cut. They protect well and have plenty of touch sensitivity to follow a line with full fingers. I get them @ Home Depot. Just make sure they fit snug.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom