Best way to dry dust cap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. Any experts out there know the statistics on dust cap related fatalities? :wink:
Well, it either will kill you, or it won't. So the odds must be 50-50.

Not sure about your reg, but mine is attached to the first stage. Would be pretty tricky to keep mine dry while diving :)

Most dust caps can be removed from the reg, mine are all removed, placed in my mask box and replaced after the dive.

You should be careful, they could become entanglement hazards! :rofl3: I'm kidding!

I simply don't understand why you'd take a dust cap you later want dry diving with you. Just remove it from your reg and keep it in your reg bag. If you must take it in the water (again, absolutely no reason to do so...), just dry it off with a shirt/towel when you get out. Obviously cracking the valve won't do any harm, but as others have noted, it really is pretty annoying for others. No need for the noise pollution.

Not sure about your reg, but mine is attached to the first stage. Would be pretty tricky to keep mine dry while diving :)

I use DIN regs so it's easy. But DIN or yoke I think you'll find yours easily removable, unless you have an Aqualung ACD valve or similar in which case you should probably still be using a regular dust cap anyway

Hi everyone I have been perplexed to this qn of drying the dust cap after a dive.

Its been standard practice that we use the remaining air in the tank to "blow dry" the dust cap before screwing it back on the reg but I have been told its actually dangerous because it atomizes the water and if it gets into our bloodstream is could be fatal and the best way is to just wipe it dry.

Can anybody enlighten me on this?

Victor

What?!?!? Be sure not to leave the house if it's foggy. :D That's crazy. The only thing I've heard/seen is that a lot of people will blow air off the dust cap straight into their first stage which is bad for the reg. Whenever I did this, I made sure to angle things so any water droplets go flying off away from the first stage inlet.

I just made a quick glance @ 'incidences & accidents' & found no cases of this---might be pretty safe then.................:)

I think its horribly obnoxious when people blast their dust caps and impair everyone else's hearing. This is what I teach my students: If there is a little bit of water, I either wipe it off with my t-shirt/towel or blow on it. It is possible to suffer an injury by holding the tank valve directly against your hand and having it 'roll on' but these types of injuries are rare and have not caused any deaths in the scuba industry (that I am aware of). To avoid the injury, carry the tank properly.

Hallelujah! I may very well throw someone off the side of the boat one day for that high crime...

Last edited:
If you don't get it wet you wont have to worry about drying it after the dve. I keep mine in a dry bag until I am done with my diving .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom