Best way to...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Fred

I too have had a insta-buddy evaporate when hitting the water. I also dive a Balance.

This is what I've done to increase my chances of coming back if I don't have any of my usual dive buddies with me.

Like Grumpy, I have a H2O Odyssey. His is set up for mounting on his main tank. I use mine the way it originally came set up, with the only exception of I swapped out the clips and used SS split rings and SS caribiners. It clips on my left chest and left hip D-rings. The bag splits open when the lease is tugged, the Velcro opens and it's in your hands. Pictures on Leisure Pro, Scuba.com, etc.

I also have a 13 cu ft, set up inverted on my main tank similar to Grumpy's, on a pony tamer mount, that I use if spear fishing or lobstering. Since I'm more inclined to be on my tummy while hunting, I like the pony on my back for this type of diving.

I also use a 30 cu ft pony, on a Dive Rite pony set up, if diving below 100 feet. I have a Dive Rite SMB and bag reel in a pouch on the front. Pictures on Dive Gear Express. I sling this on my left side.

Ultimately, it's your choice. Diving doubles would be another option. Not everybody wants to go this route and the cost of equipment and training is a serious investment. Most dive boats, unless set up for tech diving, can safely stow doubles short of putting them "under the bench." Not where I want mine when the seas kick up.

In recreational diving, in the absence of a reliable and competent dive buddy, a pony set up provides an option in case of loss of breathing mix, as well as peace of mind. Practice often, it will serve you well if ever needed. Hope you never need to use it in earnest.

Brishar,

Nice response. Thank you. Please, if you have a moment, post a few pictures of what you describe, it would help greatly.

Garv

Tilos has an interesting solution for a pony set-up. They produce two types of bottle valves with integrated first stage and pressure gauge. It makes for a slightly less bulky pony set-up.

The Tilos looks functionally similar to the H2Odessy unit once you add a button gauge and a swivel. It does look like a large valve knob which is nice if you are wearing thick gloves.

BTW: One regret I have on mine is a tiny button SPG. Later on I found out they make 2 sizes of button gauges. One (on the Tilos) is small, but readable. The other one is freaking near impossible to read it is so tiny unless you squint just right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom