Best Wilmington Operation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back last night from diving with Aquatic Safaris last weekend and this past weekend for a total of 2 dives last fri (hyde/markham) 4 dives on sat (hyde/markham) (pocohontas tug/hyde) 1 dive on sun(liberty ship) and 2 dives yesterday (gill/hyde)...Can't say enough good things about them...captains, crew and dive shop were all excellent!

When are you headed down?

It's more of just general information...My cousin lives in Carolina Beach, and I've got an open invitation to come down and visit/surf. I got to looking around at dive charters in the area, and wanted to know ahead of time for when I go down. I'll drop a line when I head that way though.

I believe that Aquatic Safaris is the only dive shop in wilmington. Cape fear is about 25 miles away and morehead city about 2 hours.
Reserve early for the weekends. I am going down the last weekend in september and both sat and sun are booked. I got on the waiting list but am looking for alternatives.

The viz on the Hyde/Markham was probably 20-30 feet. Amazing dives! I have never been out of Morehead City or Cape Fear, so I can't compare....sorry.

I have been diving with Olympus. Does the Wilmington area offer anything different than Morehead City area?

The Wilmington area offers a few things that you won't find (at least on charters) out of MHC. Meg teeth trips are one thing, if you're a fossil hunter. Another thing I like out of Wilmington is access to live bottom ledges and the area around Frying Pan Tower.

I think the Morehead area offers a better diversity of historic wrecks, and the feel of the smaller coastal towns. Wilmington is more of a major city, which offers some travel convenience and more amenities, but also looses a little of the coastal feel if you venture too far from the beach/waterfront areas.

I like 'em both.

Rich

I just got back last night from diving with Aquatic Safaris last weekend and this past weekend for a total of 2 dives last fri (hyde/markham) 4 dives on sat (hyde/markham) (pocohontas tug/hyde) 1 dive on sun(liberty ship) and 2 dives yesterday (gill/hyde)...Can't say enough good things about them...captains, crew and dive shop were all excellent!

how about that! I dove the Pocahontas and Hyde on Saturday as well with A.S. I guess we were on the boat together! Small world on Scuba Board!

The viz on the Hyde/Markham was probably 20-30 feet. Amazing dives! I have never been out of Morehead City or Cape Fear, so I can't compare....sorry.

Agreed. The Hyde was absolutely fantastic! A.S. really is the way to go in Wilmington (not that you really have a choice :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom