Best Wreck Book I've Read in a Long Time: The Darkness Below, by Rod MacDonald

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversinc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Even the name of Rod McDonald's latest book has the air of a thriller novel; and if you're a dive junkie like me, then that's exactly what it is.

Although I'm not a techy, I love wreck diving within my limits and like many other devotees, I've made pilgrimages to dive wrecks in Scapa Flow, the Sound of Mull, the North Atlantic and a few more exotic locations around the globe.

And that's the real thriller of `The Darkness Below'. Rod not only reveals the facts of lesser known and enduringly fascinating wrecks in locations I'm familiar with, he goes even further; exposing the history of other maritime classics I would never have known about. That's why this book is so different.

Like many other commentators, Rod could have chosen the easy path and concentrated on the more commonly known wrecks. But he'd just have been delivering re-hashed information presented from his perspective. Because Rod refuses to do that, it's what makes `The Darkness Below' a refreshingly great read.

The book itself is excellently arranged. The many illustrations combined with Rod's in-depth descriptions and the wealth of both historical and anecdotal information doesn't leave the reader wanting.

Often I'll read a book on wrecks only to find myself disappointingly asking very obvious questions due to the lack of basic information. You won't find that in `The Darkness Below'. It challenges and pulverises the senses with information. It truly is an excellent and informative read and a book you'll find yourself returning to repeatedly for another fix.

If I could sum it all up, I'd say for me `The Darkness Below' is like a fusion of the most exciting presentations I've watched on National Geographic or Discovery; and reminiscent of the pioneering explorations of Cousteau. And as the opening chapter acknowledges: the late great Monsieur Cousteau may have been your idol Rod, but you're equally trail-blazing an awe-inspiring path yourself.

You can get further information on 'The Darkness Below' at Amazon Books

It certainly gets barnstorming reviews on Amazon. Too bad it is not available on Kindle yet... I have an aversion to books made out of dead trees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom