Best wreck diving in USA poll. Please vote ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would def say North Carolina. We have more natural wrecks then anywhere else that I have Been.

I would def say North Carolina. We have more natural wrecks then anywhere else that I have Been.

You gotta get out more!

:eyebrow:

NC wins for interesting historic wrecks . . .

Interesting is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

The divable wrecks in NC all seem to have the same couple of stories repeated over and over again, and there isn't a lot of variability in the ship type.

Here's a WWI/II era ship/sub/freighter it was sunk.

For interesting, I still go back to the Great Lake region.

Heck, I don't think there's another whaleback divable anywhere in the world except there!

And the vast majority of the wrecks there have stories behind them. Some, like the Lady Elgin, are incredibly interesting.

Ok So I dont have much diving experience, but, this summer I did 3 ship wrecks on the St. Laurence, and its amazing that these ships up here are in such good condition... Ok so the water is COLD but its what we got =)

Compared to Lake Ontario, I thought the St. Lawrence felt like bath water, at least it did in June. We're looking forward to our return trip this year.

Heck, I don't think there's another whaleback divable anywhere in the world except there!

Sorry, that's inaccurate. Check out the cover story in the most recent issue of WRECK DIVING MAGAZINE to learn more about the historic whaleback steamer, CITY OF EVERETT, recently discovered off Florida.

Florida has a lot to offer:
Numerous historically significant shipwrecks -- CHECK
WWII victims -- CHECK
Submarines, both German and American -- CHECK
19th century sailing vessels -- CHECK
Massive intact warships, including light cruisers and destroyers -- CHECK
Hundreds of intact, diver-friendly ships sunk as artificial reefs -- CHECK
Teeming marine life on the wrecks, including sharks, turtles, and goliath grouper -- CHECK

That being said, there is a lot of awesome wreck diving all over the US. You may be surprised to learn what is waiting right in your own backyard....

Cheers,
Mike

While it may be true that NJ has more wrecks than NC, and the Great Lakes certainly have better preserved wrecks, NC has certain "advantages."

My vote is North Carolina!

[vimeo]12935171[/vimeo]

[vimeo]12444151[/vimeo]

Enjoy!

I can't speak for any location but the Great Lakes. Some great wrecks off Port Sanilac in Lake Huron are the Sport, the Eliza Strong, and the Regina to name a few. Thanks to my new friends at Bruno's Dive Shop and the crew of The Great Lakes Diver.

I'll have to check out this "North Carolina" you speak of.

Last edited:
Compared to Lake Ontario, I thought the St. Lawrence felt like bath water, at least it did in June. We're looking forward to our return trip this year.

Yeah I must agree that the St. Laurence is warm with a 7mm it was warmer in the water than it was on the boat in Sept when I did my last dive out there.

What is the best city/location to dive the St Lawrence river from? Any recommendations?

Best place is Brockville, and the small towns close to Brockville, Cardinal, Mallroytown (not sure exact name), cant beat diving the wrecks there... You can even do a shore wreck dive on the conestoga.

Conestoga Shipwreck / Naufragio Conestoga on Vimeo

Back
Top Bottom