Beta Testing Bugs / Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homestea

Reaction score
Hello I have been doing a bit of Beta testing lately and have so far run into the following issues:

1. When setting up the divers profile, it would be nice to be able to enter height and weight in the field instead of using the arrows, also i found that you have to multiple click the arrows to get them to increment (i.e you cannot hold the arrow to get a raspid increment) I found this step slow and somewhat irritating.

2. In the Catilina Dive Site i found that one of the pieces of kelp was waving wildly out of control and stretching to several times its size. I think this could be a graphical driver issue of some sort. ill post a screen capture later if you dont know what i am talking about.

3. It seemed that some of the catalina underwater landmarks were not present graphically (i.e. it showed a map symbol on map / radar , but no physical 3d modeling in the simulation window.) in particular i could not see the old pile of chains in the catalina map.

4. The BCD control seems to act weird sometimes when you near the ocean floor. for instance, usually when you get closer to the bottom it seems you have to add more and more volume to the BCD to maintain neutral buoyancy. In a particular instance I had to inflate my BCD completely while on the ocean floor before i even started to lift off of it. I was like i was stuck; after i freed myself off the floor i immediatly rocketed to the surface.

5. the lateral movement (sliding) of the diver seems weird while making turns while swimming. The diver seems too massive (i.e. too much inertia) or something because it seems to take quite a while to turn while moving forward. I would persume, even though i am not a real diver, that it is much easier to make turns and sto when swimming.

6.) I noticed that some of the buttons such as dive log do not function yet; i persume this is not a bug, but just fuinctionality that has yet to be added in the simulator.

7.) In the Ship Dive site some of the fish seem to appearalarminly gigantic and cube shape. the fist appear as gigantic cubes with the fish bitmaping wrapped around it. I'll post a picture if you have not seen or heard of this bug yet.

These next points are just some suggestions that could improve the experience, and personal ideas for improvement.

1.) I think more rocks and bottom features should be added to the catilina dive site to give it a more realistic / interesting atmosphere. The bottom sand texture gets a bit boring since there is so much of it. I have not dived in catilina, so i dont know if this what this particular site is really like. But i have been in a sumbarine in catalina and it seems like i have seenmore dense kelp forests and some more rocks / liverock/ coral on the bottom.

2.) It would be nice to have the radar/ map rotate to the direction you are traveling , upward on the screen instead of diver rotating like a real radar. it is sometimes difficult to use, by watching the diver icon rotate around.

3.) It would be nice to see some varried textues on the sunken ship to better and more realistically simulate the real site. also i think you should incorporate some areas where you can penetrate into the wreck, i.e. into some of the ship storage holds, and bridge, and cabins, etc.

Ill report back after i have done more beta testing! so far i am enjoying the experience and i especially love the graphics of the surface of the water... it looks very realistic.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
thank you for the long report.
I am glad you like eDiving.
I will break up the answer into pieces.

Regards,

AM

1. When setting up the divers profile, it would be nice to be able to enter height and weight in the field instead of using the arrows, also i found that you have to multiple click the arrows to get them to increment (i.e you cannot hold the arrow to get a raspid increment) I found this step slow and somewhat irritating.
Jeff

Good suggestion. Will incorporate it into next release.

2. In the Catilina Dive Site i found that one of the pieces of kelp was waving wildly out of control and stretching to several times its size. I think this could be a graphical driver issue of some sort. ill post a screen capture later if you dont know what i am talking about.
Jeff

I think I know what you are talking about. It is a bug. If you eDive twice in a row one of the fish model (the Sheephead) transforms itself into whatever other model ... it could be kelp, a buoy, or any other model we have. When it does, it is gigantic and scary. Will fix this bug in the next release.
For now exit the application every time you finish an eDive

3. It seemed that some of the catalina underwater landmarks were not present graphically (i.e. it showed a map symbol on map / radar , but no physical 3d modeling in the simulation window.) in particular i could not see the old pile of chains in the catalina map.
Jeff

Yes, we are aware of this. The map is BETA VERSION and we have not yet completed it.

4. The BCD control seems to act weird sometimes when you near the ocean floor. for instance, usually when you get closer to the bottom it seems you have to add more and more volume to the BCD to maintain neutral buoyancy. In a particular instance I had to inflate my BCD completely while on the ocean floor before i even started to lift off of it. I was like i was stuck; after i freed myself off the floor i immediatly rocketed to the surface.
Jeff

I had the same impression too. Will make sure to fix it in next release.

5. the lateral movement (sliding) of the diver seems weird while making turns while swimming. The diver seems too massive (i.e. too much inertia) or something because it seems to take quite a while to turn while moving forward. I would persume, even though i am not a real diver, that it is much easier to make turns and sto when swimming.
Jeff

Yes, we noticed this too. I believe there is a bug in the lateral drag formula. Will get it right in the next release.

6.) I noticed that some of the buttons such as dive log do not function yet; i persume this is not a bug, but just fuinctionality that has yet to be added in the simulator.
Jeff

Correct, DiveLog is not yet active.

7.) In the Ship Dive site some of the fish seem to appearalarminly gigantic and cube shape. the fist appear as gigantic cubes with the fish bitmaping wrapped around it. I'll post a picture if you have not seen or heard of this bug yet.
Jeff

This is the same bug as #2. See response above

Part #2

These next points are just some suggestions that could improve the experience, and personal ideas for improvement.

1.) I think more rocks and bottom features should be added to the catilina dive site to give it a more realistic / interesting atmosphere. The bottom sand texture gets a bit boring since there is so much of it. I have not dived in catilina, so i dont know if this what this particular site is really like. But i have been in a sumbarine in catalina and it seems like i have seenmore dense kelp forests and some more rocks / liverock/ coral on the bottom.
Jeff

Yes, we are planning to add way more marine life to this site. We are building 3D models as we speak and will insert them into next release.

2.) It would be nice to have the radar/ map rotate to the direction you are traveling , upward on the screen instead of diver rotating like a real radar. it is sometimes difficult to use, by watching the diver icon rotate around.
Jeff

Mhhhh. Need to think about this. Will probably make it an option.

3.) It would be nice to see some varried textues on the sunken ship to better and more realistically simulate the real site. also i think you should incorporate some areas where you can penetrate into the wreck, i.e. into some of the ship storage holds, and bridge, and cabins, etc.
Jeff

Yes, we are planning to release shortly (Dec.) version 2 of the HMCS Yukon with more details and some limited penetration. Full penetration will take longer.

Ill report back after i have done more beta testing! so far i am enjoying the experience and i especially love the graphics of the surface of the water... it looks very realistic.
Jeff

I am glad you like eDiving.
Thank you for your support.

I_AM

If you need any help whatsoever on the 3d modeling of different objects, i would be more than happy to help. Since 3d modeling is what I do for my profession on a daily basis i am very well versed in this subject. I can model pretty much any complex object of mechanical nature, also i can also model other things (organic) with a little more time (since i am most proficient using Pro/engineer and solidworks). I can export in a variety of file formats as well such as iges, step, stl, set, etc for import into 3ds max or whatever program you are using for your modeling. hope to hear back from you soon.

If you need any help whatsoever on the 3d modeling of different objects, i would be more than happy to help. Since 3d modeling is what I do for my profession on a daily basis i am very well versed in this subject. I can model pretty much any complex object of mechanical nature, also i can also model other things (organic) with a little more time (since i am most proficient using Pro/engineer and solidworks). I can export in a variety of file formats as well such as iges, step, stl, set, etc for import into 3ds max or whatever program you are using for your modeling. hope to hear back from you soon.

Sure.
Send me an email with some examples and let's talk.

I_AM

a couple of things that didn't work "yet" or possible options:

1. computer settings and info didn't work.

2. On the pdf I printed off, there were keys for inhale and exhale. I noticed there are not quite working at this moment.

3. What about safety stops?

4. mask clear?!? just throwing it out there :)

5. Alarms for: fast ascent rate, turn pressure, low air....typical dive computer alerts.

6. tank refill? is it possible?

7. Totally agree with Jeff (above), at Catalina a lot of item missing

enjoying the software...will continue to dive!

Great job with the bugs/issues Jeff.

Mike

a couple of things that didn't work "yet" or possible options:
1. computer settings and info didn't work.
Mike

Will add computer setting to a future release

2. On the pdf I printed off, there were keys for inhale and exhale. I noticed there are not quite working at this moment.
Mike

Mmmmmh ... it was supposed to be working. It was there in the Scuba Show demo ...... the idea is that you can use those 2 keys to change volume of your lungs so you can ascent descent using lungs instead of kicking or BCD.
Will put it back in the next release.

3. What about safety stops?
Mike

What about safety stop? What would you like to see / have?

4. mask clear?!? just throwing it out there :)
Mike

Now you are getting difficult :wink: .... but we could probably add it.
Low priority for now

5. Alarms for: fast ascent rate, turn pressure, low air....typical dive computer alerts.
Mike

The alarm for ascent rate is there .... computer should beep when bar gets RED.
First red bar should turn on when ascent rate is >30cm/sec - 18m/min
Too late?

6. tank refill? is it possible?
Mike

Yes .... get out of the water ..... make a long SI ..... and do a new dive :D

7. Totally agree with Jeff (above), at Catalina a lot of item missing
Mike

Yes we know.
We are looking for experts for the area to give us more pictures / videos so we can build 3D models of missing items.

Be patient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom