• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Better diving after pandemic?

Discussion in 'Bonaire' started by Daebado, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Daebado

Daebado Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    So, I know there are a lot of divers who live in Bonaire but still, I can't help wondering if stopping the influx of tourists/divers normally brought in by plane and cruise ship to the island wouldn't allow the reefs to recover a bit and the fish populations to perhaps grow a little.

For those who live there, are there noticeably fewer divers in the water at this time?

I'm sure it would take longer than a few months to make a big impact but is it possible that even this could make a small but noticeable difference for the first groups of divers who arrive once the borders open up again? Just wondering out loud, really (and, I'm booked there at the end of July and am secretly hoping my timing works out just right! :wink:).

Thoughts?

2. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Do you really think a few months of decreased dive pressure is going to make a difference compared to the increased pressure of subsistence fishing by the locals? Many people think in such short time frames.

tridacna likes this.
  3. Esprise Me

Esprise Me Kelp forest dweller ScubaBoard Supporter

I doubt a few months of reduced diving would make much difference. But the effects of reduced travel and industry could be huge.

RyanT likes this.
  4. RyanT

RyanT Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've been thinking about this. On the face of it, it seems likely that the reduction in tourism will be positive in terms of reef health. This includes the reduction in fossil fuel burning from airlines/boats as well as the reduction in the number of divers physically on the reefs. But...I suspect this is going to result in an increase in lion fish populations that are going to have a serious negative effect on our Western Atlantic/Caribbean reefs.

Esprise Me likes this.
  5. scubadada

This may be true. The commonly dived shallower reefs in Boynton, West Palm and Jupiter do not have many lionfish. It will be interesting to see what they look like after the diving prohibition.

RyanT likes this.
  6. tomcatbubba

tomcatbubba Trimix Instructor | Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    A more polite way to answer...

" I think a few months of decreased dive pressure isn't going to make a difference compared to the increased pressure of subsistence fishing by the locals."

BrackaFish likes this.
  7. Bigbella

Bigbella Manta Ray

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Sure, heh, heh, the canals of Venezia are now phenomenally clear; but doughnuts or cornetti to dollars -- you'd still get hepatitis and MRSA . . .

8. scubadada

Nice PC reply, thanks so much. Of course, you are an instructor, I'm only a diver.

tridacna and RyanT like this.
  9. Daebado

Daebado Nassau Grouper

Thank you tomcat for saving me from having to reply myself. I was merely asking a question of the community to instigate discussion, not offering my opinion or, "what I think."

Please, discuss away!

10. Seaweed Doc

Seaweed Doc Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The biggest potential benefit I could imagine is the loss of snorkellers, especially in Hawaii. Way too many still stand or kick corals. The coral's not going to regrow much in a couple months, but the rate of loss will decline.

In Belize, the cruise ship snorkel trips seem like the worst offenders to me.