Better to dive in Cairns or Townsville?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some people already posted who know the area much better than I do...

this is my 2cts worth!

If you want to see the Great Barrier Reef, I wouldn't go to Townsville (boring town too by the way) or Magnetic island (which is closer to the dive locations such as the Yongala (sp?) wreck). As someone else said, most diving there is to the Yongala wreck. I don't believe you can dive at the Great Barrier Reef from Townsville. I haven't dived there but heard it's quite a nice wreck.

I did so some diving from Cairns. I liked Cairns and went on a relatively cheap and a small diving tour operator called "Noah's ark". I recommend them! Friendly people and they're not big which I really liked. There are huge boats going out on the reef. You don't want to be on one of those huge boats!!

anyhow... HAVE FUN!!

watersprite

From Townsville, the Yongala and Wheeler Reef are nice and available for day trips.

From Cairns you can get to the GBR, but the day trip sites leave something to be desired. At least ty to do a 3 day livaboard, out to the Coral Sea is even better.

From Cairns, make sure you go up to the Daintree Rainforest, preferably for a nite or two. There is a GREAT hostel called Crocodylus, not your typical hostel.

I've got a trip report for the area at underwaterplanet.com
Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom