Between 2 sizes for 5mm hyperstretch jumpsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melattar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am wondering which size you would recommend for my husband. His measurements are:

Chest 39
Waist 35
Weight 180
Height 5'10"

He has slightly big thighs if this makes a difference. He also gets cold easily so will probably be layering below and above.

I am stuck between ordering a medium and a medium large.

Any insight would be great!

Thanks!

I am just curious, if he will be layering why not get a 7mm?

To answer you question, sort of...Hyperstretch generally run big and stretch. Usually if you are "between sizes" in that particular suit, the small is the correct choice.

why not go to LDS and buy it there? The lds will ensure that the proper size is purchased the 1st time. If this a Henderson Hyperstretch you are asking about , I am fairly certain that the Hyperstretch line by Henderson is discontinued, so you will be purchasing a suit that may have been hanging in the warehouse of the online company for as much as 2 years. Aqualock line was set up to replace it.

To answer you question, sort of...Hyperstretch generally run big and stretch. Usually if you are "between sizes" in that particular suit, the small is the correct choice.

Robert is absolutely right. My husband (5'11 and 185) is very close to your husband's numbers but he wears a large in the 3 mm. These are superstretchy with a lot of forgiveness and adaptability built in to accommodate different body styles but with a 5 mm and if he will be doing layering frequently, may want to go with the larger.

I doubt you will find one at LDS, I think they are even getting limited online. Hopefully, it will be returnable or at least exchangeable in case he does not like it.

He doesn't want the 7mm so that he has more versatility. We will be diving in Hawaii, and the Carribean this year, which I understand are not too cold. But he wants pieces he can take off and put on as needed.

Also, from what I read, the 7mm is a bit more cumbersome overall, is this correct?

why not go to LDS and buy it there? The lds will ensure that the proper size is purchased the 1st time. If this a Henderson Hyperstretch you are asking about , I am fairly certain that the Hyperstretch line by Henderson is discontinued, so you will be purchasing a suit that may have been hanging in the warehouse of the online company for as much as 2 years. Aqualock line was set up to replace it.

Yes we looked at the LDS and they didn't have anything in our price range. We wanted to get something under $250 for at least 5mm, and since I already have a Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm and LOVE the material, we are looking at those.

Robert is absolutely right. My husband (5'11 and 185) is very close to your husband's numbers but he wears a large in the 3 mm. These are superstretchy with a lot of forgiveness and adaptability built in to accommodate different body styles but with a 5 mm and if he will be doing layering frequently, may want to go with the larger.

I doubt you will find one at LDS, I think they are even getting limited online. Hopefully, it will be returnable or at least exchangeable in case he does not like it.

Ok, I think I'll go for the larger and then send it back to exchange it if it doesn't fit snug enough.

Keep in mind too that the more stretchy the suit, the smaller you can get away with. It sounds like he could go either way and be happy with the fit. We size the patterns around the material used so that this is considered in our size chart.

I'm 5' 8" and running about 165 lb these days and found my H2 Med to be too snug--I went to a Large Short. I would think a Large for your husband. Amazon.com still seems to have a decent size selection and good prices. If he thinks he might be cool in some situations in the 5mm suit, the hooded vest adds a lot of warmth--I've been using the combination for 2 hour dives in the Mexican cenotes without problem.

Well the ML is too big across the chest, lots of room there but it fits great in the thighs/torso. We are going to get an Aqualock this time I think.

The 5mm isn't overkill for warm water diving, is it? We have trips to Hawaii, Mexico, Jamaica, and Belize on our to-do list.

He thinks it's too think but he gets cold very easily so I am trying to convince him it's not too thick. He also has a Mares Thermoguard top/shorts, a 7/5 hood, and a Henderson Neosport 2.5mm vest he can add on top if he needs it.

Back
Top Bottom