BEWARE EON Steel POD batteries DOA out of box new! Very Disappointing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, It seems that Suunto made some bad design decisions to create a transmitter that prevents user battery replacement and requires a new housing at each change? Competitors AI transmitters don't seem to have these limitations?

My Full Transmitter History - A tale of Woe!

So this for those who are interested in my Transmitter timeline. It's taken a while to assemble having to trawl through emails. You may have to concentrate to keep up Both my wife and I have Eon's and we have Pod's on our Pony/deco stages - hence 2 Pods each.

Pod #1
Purchased in Feb 15. S/N 1443105998
In July 16 showed low battery @ 200 dives. Battery changed.
Jan 17 after a further 50 dives (Max) Low Battery indication

Pod# 2
Purchased in Feb 2015. S/N 1443105951.
In Feb 16 showed a low battery @ 160 dives. Unit exchanged by dealer with new Pod S/N 1519105583.
In July 16 this Pod stopped working in between dives. Unit Exchanged for Another New Unit S/N 1519105593
Jan 17 Battery Life shows 3/4 full

Pod#3
Purchased Aug 2015 S/N 1519106415
In Dec 15 Low Battery indication at approx 30 dives, battery changed
In July 16 Low Battery Indication at approx 60 dives (total) Unit exchanged by dealer with new Pod S/N 1519105594.
Unit Found to have No Battery life out of box, Battery changed.

Jan 17 - Eon Fails to read transmitter. Suspect Failed Battery at 30 dives Max.

Pod#4

Purchased Aug 2015 S/N 1519106413
In Feb 16 showed a low battery @ 30 dives - Battery Changed
In July 16 Showed Low Battery @ Total 60 dives. Unit Exchanged with New Pod S/N 1519105606
July 16 after 9 Dives, Unit Fails between Dives. Unit Exchanged S/N1519105848
Jan 17 Battery Life shows 3/4 full

The Battery readings are check on both Eon's as are failure to connect issues.

I've been asked (quite reasonably) how are my Pod's stored. Sometimes in the reg bag, most of the time in a pelican box with the computers (while they're not on the regs Storage temps are less than 27C

Is there a chance that they are left pressurised between dives? Yes on occasion, maybe one or two dives

Some of the early Battery changes were not done correctly. the dealer failed to allow the Pod's to discharge - Suunto advised me on this and I make sure the dealer does this.

Do I feel confident - not really. I use the Battery indicator, but if low continue to dive it unless I'm heading to the dealer (luckily only a 15 min drive). However what do you do? Wait for the Pod to stop working?

So far the best that has been achieved is 200 dive and 18 months, however I'll concede I'm happy with that because the Pods are exposed to high summer temps. So now my Pods are on a yearly battery change schedule, except they're not reaching that

As you can see the other issues generally come up within a year.

Maybe we are unlucky and the batteries are subjected to high temps in transit or on the shelf and are degraded before they get to our Pods

Maybe its something else. But for 4 pods, 5 replacements in 2 years isn't that great.

Should Suunto remove the Battery contents - No. My wife and I don't treat our Pods exactly the same we have reg bags of different manufacture etc, but there is no consistency in the Pod failures.

I am so well known I'm allowed straight into see the service tech, Sad really.

I'll post when I know what the the latest results are (I suspect battery on the one that's failed completely) *Sigh*

Maybe the dealer might give me one of those Suunto backpack he has there as swag, I suspect not though

Two out of Three Eon Steel Tank POD's Starting with Serial Number 14 are being Replaced. Why not the Third?
Fourth Transmitter is now being Replaced, No Charge. The other Replacement Three Transmitters, I am on my own to replace. I missed the 90 days cutoff on Warranty Replacement. Issue of Low Battery Indicator is still not resolved.

Out of Original 10 Transmitters, Every One has been Replaced; several more than once. I've even had a Suunto Eon Steel Dive Computer Replaced under Warranty (minus the Screen Protector).

Regarding the future, I would like to have your opinion. If we would make a new Tank Pressure Pod, which is more important to you - a long battery life or a battery level indication? Being able to estimate battery capacity by voltage would require a battery type with significantly less capacity and shelf life - you would need to replace it at least twice as frequently. Would that be OK?

I'd prefer Battery Level Indication. Would a Tank POD Firmware Update be Required for Different Battery Chemistry?

I just sent in my tank pod for battery change. I had the pod for almost 2 years and got over 100 dives from it before losing the battery charge. It will be interesting to see if they replace it (14xxxxx serial number) or just do the service.

I just sent in my tank pod for battery change. I had the pod for almost 2 years and got over 100 dives from it before losing the battery charge. It will be interesting to see if they replace it (14xxxxx serial number) or just do the service.
I haven't had any battery issues with my pod, but I'm coming up on the two year battery replacement. Where did you send yours to?

I haven't had any battery issues with my pod, but I'm coming up on the two year battery replacement. Where did you send yours to?
I sent it in through my local shop where I bought it. Normally I'd just change the battery myself but with all the issues I didn't want to risk it. I am not happy that a battery kit is almost $40 since you have to replace the housing (dumbest thing I've ever heard) and had I known all this before I bought it, I may have made a different choice. It is already one of the most if not the most expensive recreational computer out there, so I'm not happy with $50-$60 every other year (or sooner) just for battery changes.

The other Replacement Three Transmitters...

...(minus the Screen Protector).

Three Transmitters Battery being Replaced under Warranty. No Reason given Why the Batteries didn't last Minimum Two Years. Replacement Screen Protector Shipped as well.

So got my transmitter back and I will say had I known about the battery change issue for the "pods", I would never have bought this computer. Cost to my shop was almost $60 so with shipping it was $75 for a freaking battery change and o-ring (and my shop made zero). I guess Suunto figures if you can afford $1800-$2000 for the computer and pod (unless you were one of the lucky ones that got the pod for free after many of us had bought them) you can pay stupid money for a battery change (needed every 1-2 years depending on use). I'm so done with Suunto. I loved my Vytec DS and I love this computer, but between software issue early on and now this for the transmitted, I mean "pod", there are just too many good if not better computers out there for a lot less money.

This also happened to me, albeit with the non-EON Pod (the SS019098000). Dead on arrival. Left it on the shop for tests and the result was that the battery was dead. I obviously asked for a new one but they said they still need to check with the manufacturer so that they decide if I get a new one or a battery change.

In the meantime I discovered that after May 2021 the devices are shipped in a sealed bag stating "Cleaned for oxygen service" which my certainly wasn't.

Conclusion: Very very very disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom