Beware in Caymen isles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadoguk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I went into work at the dive store and a young guy came in to look around!
Soon a few minutes of chatting ensued the fellow proudly anouced he was off to Cayman as a dive master candidate I asked what that was he told me a story of being a no pay only board post! he also went on to tell me he would finish the tour with his AI rating.
The guy was pumped to be going, I asked what he was doing he thought he was going diving ( I think not, I figure he will be filling tanks carrying tanks and cleaning the head)
After a few more minutes of chatting about other areas of diving he seemed to be a very nice fellow but sadly lacking in dive knowledge for instance I was suprised to have a guy who was about to go off to Caymen as D/M ask if his watch was suitable for diving.
I would at this point remind all our new to travel divers DO NOT let people you don't know on a boat put your gear together he may not have much knowledge. and may be starving and in need of some food to cure his light headedness and you could be his meal ticket for the day.

It makes your wonder :11:

Hey Scubadoguk, do you miss diving in the UK :06:

scubadoguk:
I went into work at the dive store and a young guy came in to look around!
Soon a few minutes of chatting ensued the fellow proudly anouced he was off to Cayman as a dive master candidate I asked what that was he told me a story of being a no pay only board post! he also went on to tell me he would finish the tour with his AI rating.
The guy was pumped to be going, I asked what he was doing he thought he was going diving ( I think not, I figure he will be filling tanks carrying tanks and cleaning the head)
After a few more minutes of chatting about other areas of diving he seemed to be a very nice fellow but sadly lacking in dive knowledge for instance I was suprised to have a guy who was about to go off to Caymen as D/M ask if his watch was suitable for diving.
I would at this point remind all our new to travel divers DO NOT let people you don't know on a boat put your gear together he may not have much knowledge. and may be starving and in need of some food to cure his light headedness and you could be his meal ticket for the day.

I would find this story rather suspect (his, not yours). My family is originally from the Cayman Islands and I know a bit about how the things work there.

First off, you must have a work permit in order to be employed in the Cayman Islands, unless you are a native or have been granted "Cayman Status."

Secondly, work permits are generally rather expensive and not easily obtained, so it's unlikely a dive shop is going to hire someone who is lacking in experience.

Third, most of the dive shops I've dealt with there only hire instructors.

If he was going to take a DM class, then I would expect that he would get the appropriate training before being turned loose with customers, but I suppose it never hurts to keep an eye on things.

Perhaps Drew or some of the others who are currently working at shops there can chime in with their perspectives, but that's been my experience with most of the shops so far.

Cave Diver:
I would find this story rather suspect (his, not yours). My family is originally from the Cayman Islands and I know a bit about how the things work there.

First off, you must have a work permit in order to be employed in the Cayman Islands, unless you are a native or have been granted "Cayman Status."

Secondly, work permits are generally rather expensive and not easily obtained, so it's unlikely a dive shop is going to hire someone who is lacking in experience.

Third, most of the dive shops I've dealt with there only hire instructors.

If he was going to take a DM class, then I would expect that he would get the appropriate training before being turned loose with customers, but I suppose it never hurts to keep an eye on things.

Perhaps Drew or some of the others who are currently working at shops there can chime in with their perspectives, but that's been my experience with most of the shops so far.
Yes I thought of my work permit experience but the store is in a very affluent part if Indianapolis there is a few family's I know who have homes and interests in the Islands.
I have to say that from own limited experience there are lots of things daddy's money can get for you :eyebrow:

As for missing the UK diving I miss it very much I dive in Stoney when I get back, Stoney is my local and did my DM there in 1988 as well as my BSAC stuff with Hinckley before that, I was in at Christmas actually :11:

scubadoguk:
Yes I thought of my work permit experience but the store is in a very affluent part if Indianapolis there is a few family's I know who have homes and interests in the Islands.
I have to say that from own limited experience there are lots of things daddy's money can get for you :eyebrow:

As for missing the UK diving I miss it very much I dive in Stoney when I get back, Stoney is my local and did my DM there in 1988 as well as my BSAC stuff with Hinckley before that, I was in at Christmas actually :11:

Tad on the cold side :11:

It does sound rather odd, from my experience in the various Carribean Islands, most people who DM are Instructors that need work and not in training.

Don

Most dive staff are expatriots and thus have to qualify for those pricy work permits. The Immigration Board probably would reject any permit application for any dive staff position that wasn't at least a DM. Only exception would be if a position would not involve any supervision of divers at all (purely admin).

Even if someone has the means to independently support themselves, it's not easy. To get a suitably long tourist visa pre-approved for one DM candidate, we had to confirm that the course was prepaid and also give start and end dates for the DM internship.

I've not heard about any shop offering a board-only arrangement like this in Cayman. Not sure that would fly with Immigration.

Might have just been a case of wishful thinking on the candidates part.

Drew Sailbum:
Most dive staff are expatriots and thus have to qualify for those pricy work permits. The Immigration Board probably would reject any permit application for any dive staff position that wasn't at least a DM. Only exception would be if a position would not involve any supervision of divers at all (purely admin).

Even if someone has the means to independently support themselves, it's not easy. To get a suitably long tourist visa pre-approved for one DM candidate, we had to confirm that the course was prepaid and also give start and end dates for the DM internship.

I've not heard about any shop offering a board-only arrangement like this in Cayman. Not sure that would fly with Immigration.
yeah sure,
See some guy goes over, daddys paid for his class. he is on a trip so he gets there sweeps store emptys trash and does a class maybe he is full of crap who knows, but as for working for nothing and so on I had little to say before he had the watch question less soon after.

Hey ScubadogUK...any chance on improving your sentence structure and diction. Your posts are hard to read...just a suggestion. Your DM candidate for the Cayman adventure sounds like many a fellow hoping for the island life and pretty fishes. In reality, he will probably be hauling tanks for tourists.

Back
Top Bottom