Beware of Leisure Pro - bad experience buying a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaginCajun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After spending over $2500 with Leisure Pro in the last few years I've finally had my first taste of disappointment.

I purchased an Aeris ION regulator and it developed a chatter after about 5 dives. Initial diagnosis from a dive shop buddy is that the IP pressure needs an adjustment. Simple enough right?

Leisure Pro is an authorized Aeris dealer and the equipment carries a full warranty, but after having the regulator in hand for less than 30 days, LP washed their hands clean and told me to take it up with Aeris.

Aeris on the other hand have been very nice to deal with and readily gave me an RMA number and said they'd take care of it. The reg is in the mail and I expect a better experience from Aeris than Leisure Pro. Hopefully I'm right.

Moral of the story - read the fine print and don't buy from LP if you need top notch service & support. Not bad for pulling items off the shelf in the warehouse quickly, but not much service beyond that.

I have purchased a few items over the years from them and so far (knock on wood) I have been OK. One issue about them is their warrenty service. Many items they get at a discount from the maker with one catch, no warrenty. If you do buy something that needs service they in turn send it to someone else to get it done. I will continue to use them for little odds and ends that are not local; however, when it comes to big ticket items, I always go to my LDS, besides half of the gear I use is not available over the internet.

So you are mad that they are an authorized dealer and told you to get warranty support through the manufacturer who promptly gave you an RMA to exchange it?

Sounds like everything that was supposed to happen happened and you got perfectly acceptable customer service.

So you are mad that they are an authorized dealer and told you to get warranty support through the manufacturer who promptly gave you an RMA to exchange it?

Sounds like everything that was supposed to happen happened and you got perfectly acceptable customer service.

I agree with hypertech.

I'd be happy with that outcome. You probably saved time by not having to send it to Leisurepro and have them send it to the manufacturer.

I'm wondering: what would have made you happy in this transaction? I'm not being sarcastic, just wonderin'. :idk:

I'm wondering: what would have made you happy in this transaction? I'm not being sarcastic, just wonderin'. :idk:

I'm guessing he expected LP to send him a brand-new regulator.

I've always been very happy with LP, by the way. But I might have expected the same thing, rightly or wrongly, if the item was defective -- that is, if the IP couldn't be adjusted for some reason.

Their policy states that a refund only applies if the item is unused.

Is there more to this story?

Normally I think that LP gets over bashed here.... but in this case, the original poster stated he didn't have the reg 30 days and LP "washed their hands of him.

See below.

I purchased an Aeris ION regulator [snip...]

Leisure Pro is an authorized Aeris dealer and the equipment carries a full warranty, but after having the regulator in hand for less than 30 days, LP washed their hands clean and told me to take it up with Aeris.

This is in contrary to LP's return policy and satisfaction guarantee.... (see below). Seems to me that they should refund his purchase per the below policy on their website.

from Return Policy | LeisurePro.com

We think you'll agree that Leisure Pro has the best return policy in the industry.

* You have 60 days from the date of invoice to return the merchandise for full refund on your credit card.
* Then, we give another 60 days (120 days from the date of invoice) to return for store credit.

Inspect the equipment when it arrives, and if you're not fully satisfied you can return it for a full refund (less the shipping charge, for items which we offer free shipping the original shipping savings associated with the returned item(s) will be deducted), as long as you haven't used it. We won't even ask why you've changed your mind.

You'll need the original manufacturers labeled packaging with all materials, manuals and blank warranty cards.​

You mean that LP couldn't put RaginCagun on hold for a moment, call Aries, get an RMA number and tell him to ship it direct to the factory with this number? Two minutes on a call, and don't piss off your customer. I believe that is good customer service.

Take care of your customer..........or someone else will.

Normally I think that LP gets over bashed here.... but in this case, the original poster stated he didn't have the reg 30 days and LP "washed their hands of him.

See below.

This is in contrary to LP's return policy and satisfaction guarantee.... (see below). Seems to me that they should refund his purchase per the below policy on their website.

from Return Policy | LeisurePro.com

We think you'll agree that Leisure Pro has the best return policy in the industry.

* You have 60 days from the date of invoice to return the merchandise for full refund on your credit card.
* Then, we give another 60 days (120 days from the date of invoice) to return for store credit.

Inspect the equipment when it arrives, and if you're not fully satisfied you can return it for a full refund (less the shipping charge, for items which we offer free shipping the original shipping savings associated with the returned item(s) will be deducted), as long as you haven't used it. We won't even ask why you've changed your mind.

You'll need the original manufacturers labeled packaging with all materials, manuals and blank warranty cards.​

The OP used it and needed warranty support. I don't think this was a case of using that guarantee. They told him to get warranty support.

Normally I think that LP gets over bashed here.... but in this case, the original poster stated he didn't have the reg 30 days and LP "washed their hands of him. [...] This is in contrary to LP's return policy and satisfaction guarantee....

No, it's not. The refund guarantee only applies if the item is unused. The OP said he dived with it five times.

*edit* Oops, I see hypertech already made that point.

You mean that LP couldn't put RaginCagun on hold for a moment, call Aries, get an RMA number and tell him to ship it direct to the factory with this number? Two minutes on a call, and don't piss off your customer. I believe that is good customer service.

Take care of your customer..........or someone else will.

Looks like LP shipped the reg back to the OP, and told him to deal directly with Aeris. I might have expected LP in that case to forward the reg to Aeris themselves -- but that might create the potential for the reg getting lost somewhere.

Or, again, based on my excellent experiences with LP, I might have expected LP to send me a new reg, and deal with Aeris themselves. But I'm not sure what's reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom