Beware of Leisure Pro - bad experience buying a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About the 30 days. Sorry I should have clarified. The regulators were in hand <30 days, although the invoice date was ~32 days at the time of the call (transit time). Being nit-picky about this detail was annoying. Never sent it in to LP, called for RMA and they refused to take it back.

Bottom line is not to expect much from LP in terms of service & support other than being able to exchange a pair of booties, a wetsuit or mask because it didn't fit.

The savings were appreciable. I think it was at least $100 cheaper than at an LDS, but don't quote me because my LDS really only reps Scuba Pro.

I had a warranty issue with a new reg purchased from LP. I contacted the manufacturer for an RMA and was advised to send it to the retailer. I contacted LP who advised me to send it to the manufacturer. Upon explaining to the LP rep that the manufacturer wanted the reg returned to the retailer and I felt I was getting the run around, the rep told me they wanted me completely satisfied and promptly transfered the call to a supervisor. The reg was returned to LP. Within 3 days of the regs arrival, their techs found a defect that they were unable to correct and they forwarded the reg to the manufacturer. It then went back to LP and then to me. LP techs answered all my questions and were always available to keep me advised on the regs progress.

It took 2 months to get the reg returned to me via this elongated shipping route, but when the reg came home it operated perfectly.

While I didn't like the reg being gone for 2 months, I don't think I could have expected more from LP. The savings on reg was more than $100 compared to an LDS, even after the return shipping for the warranty repair.

Last edited:
I agree with hypertech and others that this seems to have been handled properly by LP given the fact the item had been used. You can't expect a high degree of customer service when buying on line most of the time.

I bought a Neosport wetsuit by Henderson from LP about 18 months ago. It started to fall apart within less than two dozen dives. I contacted Henderson with pictures of the damage and they said to send it in. When they had inspected it, the response was that they hadn't made that specific wetsuit for at least EIGHT years so it must have been sitting on the shelf somewhere. Henderson did the right thing and sent me a new one which has performed fine.

I have bought a lot from Leisure Pro through the years. They have been good about exchanges. Personally, I would prefer to have the manufacturer do the repair on a new unit. Although I bought my last three regulators from Leisure Pro, I've had them serviced by Scuba Toys.

To everyone in this discussion and anyone considering a purchase from LeisurePro, if you don't have what you consider to be excellent service or you run into problems, please feel free to contact me directly and I'll do everything I can to try to fix the situation and get you back to diving. My contact information is in my signature, don't hesitate to use it.

To everyone in this discussion and anyone considering a purchase from LeisurePro, if you don't have what you consider to be excellent service or you run into problems, please feel free to contact me directly and I'll do everything I can to try to fix the situation and get you back to diving. My contact information is in my signature, don't hesitate to use it.

Can you arrange for cheaper shipping to Canada? :)

I am curious about something, Why do you even bother with a LDS when you are going to purchase on line? What does the LDS do for you? I stock the most current up to date inventory that my manufactures sell. I let you touch it and in some cases even test dive it. So, with the economy as crappy as it is, I am looking for answers. What does your local dive shop have to do to EARN your business?

What does your local dive shop have to do to EARN your business?

Um, not trying to be a smartass... but how about not charging 1-1/2 to 2 times as much, for everything from clips to dive lights to BCs to regs?

I understand about giving you a chance to price-match or to come close... but I just don't like to haggle.

I've been dealing with Leisure Pro probably since the internet went graphical. I have been more than happy with the service. As a matter of fact I feel they have gone above and beyond with a couple of small issues I had.

Based on your experience(op) I think they handled things perfectly and if anyone dropped the ball it was Aeris on taking so long to fix the IP issue, and return the regulator. I think perhaps you have some unrealistic expectations that you have not fully expressed to us. So please do so and lets us all understand the nature of your discontent.

lets us all understand the nature of your discontent.

I surmised in Post #5 that

I'm guessing he expected LP to send him a brand-new regulator.

And the OP confirmed in Post #11 that

the only thing that would have made me really happy was for LP to take it back and send me a new one.

I am curious about something, Why do you even bother with a LDS when you are going to purchase on line? What does the LDS do for you? I stock the most current up to date inventory that my manufactures sell. I let you touch it and in some cases even test dive it. So, with the economy as crappy as it is, I am looking for answers. What does your local dive shop have to do to EARN your business?

Excellent question! Where to begin?

First, some people are going to buy on price alone so if you can't come close then you aren't going to get those folks in-simple as that.

I am not one of those persons (but I don't live near your shop either). I can tell you what I like-maybe it will help. I want a shop that listens to me, not one that tries to tell me what I want to buy. It is OK to engage me in a conversation and point out things I had not considered but if you are talking when I think you should be listening then I am going out the door.

If you lie, or tell me something that you should know is not true then I am going to get discouraged and probably go elsewhere. In other words; know (not guess) what you are talking about and shoot straight.

Don't try and sell me stuff I don't need. I don't like that. Do try and tell me when there is something I should be buying that I had not thought about. In other words, I am buying fines, I probably need booties. I don't need a special bottle of 'Fin wash'.

I guess, really, treat me like you would want to be treated if you were buying a car-not how you get treated. I know you want/need to earn a living and that's fine but I don't want to be your only source of income.

I could probably go on but I won't because for all I know you are the greatest shop in the world and you don't need my advice. I wish you well and good luck.

If you have a web-site maybe I'll buy something from you.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom