Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an FYI, I had to have my D9 replaced (also in Phuket, Thailand, through the Suunto Distrubutor, "Dive S*&^%"). As Tour leader on a Similan Liveaboard, I was indeed logging a fair number of dives (approx. 110+ per month), and it was only by sheer luck that I never got bent/injured.

The low battery indicator was showing, and when I dropped the D9 off (less than 2 years old, about 650+ dives on it), I was told it would be ready the following day. However, I got a call from DIVE ^%$&( saying "there was a problem with the depth/pressure reading" after doing the battery replacement , and they contacted Suunto Finland to see what to do next.

Two days later, they said Suunto authorized them to replace the module, but as they didn't have spare modules, they replaced the entire D9--but with a charge of THB 3000 (about US$100) Considering the D9 was originally purchased in North America, they said this is their standardCompany procedure, and IF this "new" D9 were to fail I would have to address it in the country of purchase.

Considering what could have happened, I suppose I am fortunate. But it does "give me pause" when I think about all those dives (with paying customers), over multiple diving days in the Similans and it was just by coincidence that the issue was discovered while doing a battery change??

Anyway, at this point I have a new D9 and hope it will work as it should. But having a backup computer on every dive, (primarily for no-deco info.) is now something I am seriously considering....ironically, all my other computers are Suuntos (Cobra, Spyder), and I've never had any issues with those...

Wish you the best, I understand your frustration. I suppose I am one of the "lucky ones"...
HB

Hi Harley

Now do two things.

1. ask yourself why Dive su**ply haven't recalled the bad batch there are a lot of computers I personally know off with this depth sensor fault.

2. Ask Dive supply how much warranty your new D9 has as a replacement on a already faulty computer and they will tell you only 3 mths.

Please do this and post the response the next step will be to complain to sunnto who will do nothing.

With all the talk of problems with the Suunto computers, I'm glad to report that I just came back from the caribbean after using my new Vytec DS with transmitter. I had no problems with the depth readings.

Only problem I had was to figure out how to use everything this computer can do and to keep the tank pressure reading from "failing" before I got in the water. If no change in pressure occurs within a certain amount of time, it will read "Fail". All I had to do was to inflate my BC to get it to read the transmitter for a new pressure reading. Other than that, I love this computer.

dd

My buddies and I all have 2006 Vytec's Air-Integrated (non DS version), and not one issue to report. We have over 200+ dives between us on them, and the only issue we ever had was due to user error (using the same transmitter code as someone else in the group). We occasionally spot check each others computers on a dive, and the depth's are always within a +/- 2 ft.

Sucks that their customer service is so horrible. Sounds like more and more companies are are treating their customers like this. I was going to pick up a D9, but now I'll hold off and trust my backup analog gauges.

I think the moral of this story is: always dive with redundant gear no matter who is the manufacturer. Equipment fails, so it's better to be prepared for the worst, especially if its a critical piece.

amazingly we still have no reply or interest from sunnto or there suppliers...

Off topic but...for all you LP patrons (myself included)

Have you guys seen the recent supreme court decision allowing the manufacturer to dictate the MSRP? Here to for, a manufacturer could not dictate the msrp for a retailer but since ole G dubya has stacked the Supr Court the Sherman Anti trust act (1911) has been overturned. Companies like LP may soon find themseleves in court or out of business.
I have bought a lot of stuff from LP over the years, but when I needed a replacement computer I got it from a company in HongKong. Lets see them control the price there!

Thank you for your report. I was going to order 2 D9's today for me and my wife. If that is their idea of standing behind a product, I would be better served going with the Aeris Epic assuming that the software issues are resolved.:shakehead:

Having followed this thread for many months, I noticed that airplane rides sometimes seemed to be involved, and recently got to wondering whether the bad batch of pressure sensors was particularly vulnerable to significant negative pressure. (A quick rescan of the thread didn't turn up any past discussion along these lines.)

Most of these things have batteries changed out and internal pressure equalised to something close to sea level. For most of them, the only time the pressure sensor actually gets sucked backwards is when they go up in an airplane, even if it's only a mild sucking. So maybe less chance of inducing the failure if you fly them in something like a hermetically sealed Pelican case? Any thoughts or experiences?

Just my two cents...

I have owned two Suunto's both purchased from Dive S***** in Thailand. The first was a Vyper that was purchased in 2001, the depth sensor failed in 2006 after 180 dives. After my last dive in Phi Phi I but the computer away, next time i checked it, it showed about 10 metres and a dive time of 999 hours. DS said it would cost 18,000 THB to fix. 5 years life from a dive computer I don't think is anything to complain about.

I bought a D9 a year ago, it now has 60 dives and is working fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom