Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading this thread...Now might be a good time for my shamless plug... Cochran Undersea Technology ;-0 Enjoy

I would definitely talk to more that one person before you move in that direction. I watch two people "try" to set theirs on a live a board last year and give up in frustration. Luckily they had back-ups. I know this is anecdotal, but you raised the point! From what I saw, I would not go with a Cochran. Personally I like something simple and the Cochran is not simple.

actually...my own personal Cochran is easy to set up...but wait, i read the manual :-|

A guy I work with bought two Gekko's at Christmas and he took one of them diving in an Ohio quarry this pass week-end and the depth reading stated going bananas! Thank goodness he bought it from an authorized dealer as it should be covered by a warranty. I'll keep you informed how it works out for him.

Well, when my son and I first started diving about 3 1/2 years ago I purchased each of us a suunto cobra. During the first year we were at a spring and I knew the depth to the bottom was about 40 feet yet mine was saying 20 ft. I surfaced and it said 0 depth. I went back down and it did the same thing. I motioned for my son and his was reading 40 ft deep. It was reading almost exactly 1/2 of the depth I was at. It was under warranty and I took it to the LDS and they sent it to the manufacturer and it was replaced, so I thought, okay, just an odd occurrence. One month ago, my son is descending and nothing works but minutes of air left. Everything else read 0. We tried replacing the battery with a new one and it did not help. Again, I delivered it to the LDS where we purchased it. I called a few days ago and they shipped it back to manufacturer and we still have no word. Because it is a little over 3 years old it is no longer under warranty and I have no idea now what they will do. This makes me uncomfortable with the units now because both malfunctioned with less than 100 dives each.

I have been researching the Vyper 2. It sounds like you are very disappointed in your Cobras. I think I will go with something other than Suunto. Thx

Buddy of mine has the cobra2. He went diving on a boat and the first dive he was at 10ft and it went berserk and read at 499. Thankfully he was on a demo boat and able to swap out for something on the boat.

Well, when my son and I first started diving about 3 1/2 years ago I purchased each of us a suunto cobra. During the first year we were at a spring and I knew the depth to the bottom was about 40 feet yet mine was saying 20 ft. I surfaced and it said 0 depth. I went back down and it did the same thing. I motioned for my son and his was reading 40 ft deep. It was reading almost exactly 1/2 of the depth I was at. It was under warranty and I took it to the LDS and they sent it to the manufacturer and it was replaced, so I thought, okay, just an odd occurrence. One month ago, my son is descending and nothing works but minutes of air left. Everything else read 0. We tried replacing the battery with a new one and it did not help. Again, I delivered it to the LDS where we purchased it. I called a few days ago and they shipped it back to manufacturer and we still have no word. Because it is a little over 3 years old it is no longer under warranty and I have no idea now what they will do. This makes me uncomfortable with the units now because both malfunctioned with less than 100 dives each.

Well I am really sorry to hear about your problems with your dive computer. It's a hard thing to take when you make a purchase of anything, hoping you will get your money's worth out of the product and end up with less than that. Nothing sucks more than buying something and having problems with it just out of warranty date. I bought my Suunto products on reccomendations of many divers who I since I knew nothing trusted. I haven't had any problems yet. When we make any purchase we are gambling. No product can ever be said to be 100% fail proof. I guess thats why warranty is also such a big term and well talked about topic. I can't defend suunto, not that I would anyways. I have read many posts and reviews of alot of dive computers and those using them to see just about the same good and bad reviews. Again we are kinda at the mercy of the gremlins with products, sometimes we get a good one, sometimes we get a lemon. I hope you make out ok with your computer, I understand your frustration totally.

I am not a Sunto dealer, but have been in the industry for over 14 years now and had one of the very first air integrated computers to come into the market and most of every type since.

Once observation I've made as computers have evolved, and that I try to educate my diving customer's on, regardless of the brand or model that they are buying is this. The electronics used in computers today, as in most electronics, is now less robust and reliable over long periods than those used even 5 or 10 years ago. In many cases the electronics are very similar to those in your cell phone. How many of us have gotten 5-10 years out of our phones as of late.

Because of this I inform my customer's do not do anything to this computer that could hurt your ipod or cell phone, such as leaving it to freeze in a wet cold bag in the trunk of your car after a michigan ice diving day, do not drop from even low places as impacts are very bad for them, do not leave inside a baking car on a hot summer day.

Basically I tell my customers electronics of all types are now disposable and any useful days they have with their dive computers after the 2 year warranty period is over should be viewed as a free day. It is also for this reason I don't suggest buying really feature laden computers like air integrated models used after the warranty period has elapsed.

Now that being said, some of the customer service issues here on warrantied units is pretty crappy and from a brand I've always been told you buy for the superior customer service and support that you get and don't have from other mfg's.

Just my $.02

So I'm relatively new to SCUBA equipment and just starting to purchase all of my stuff. I've had Suunto brand dive computers recommended to me by multiple dive shops and divers in the area. None of them have heard of any issues with the newer models and their pressure chips.

Is this still a fairly widespread issue? Are other people having trouble with their Suunto computers?

I emailed the suunto help desk, with a query of a "missed" decompression stop, not shown during the dive, but evident when I played it back on my computer. I got a satisfactory explanation within 12 hours. EON 13 years old never had a problem!:blinking:

Back
Top Bottom