Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I'm relatively new to SCUBA equipment and just starting to purchase all of my stuff. I've had Suunto brand dive computers recommended to me by multiple dive shops and divers in the area. None of them have heard of any issues with the newer models and their pressure chips.

Is this still a fairly widespread issue? Are other people having trouble with their Suunto computers?

This thread is 19 pages and going with many of the problems stated being similar. I would suggest there is a problem. Before my cobra went bad, I myself recommended a friend and new diver get one. No more. No way.

As for the dealers, I was in a shop recently (Auth. Suunto Dealer) and tried to discuss this issue with him. I guess I try to only believe things I read on the internet to a point. So I decided to get a local, "real person's" take on it understanding that this is a bigger shop that was in our area before the dead sea was sick. Well, when asked about it, he similarly denied all knowledge of it but in a way that I thought was sort of disproportionate to the question asked. Kind of overly defensive. He then turned the conversation away from any discussion of physical problems with the units and into an attack on me for not getting my cobra at an authorized dealer (which I freely admitted up front acknowledging that I took the gamble and lost). When I tried to agree that I was a loser for buying used on ebay but that that didn't change the fact that there was still a physical problem with the unit and that I was curious if others have had similar problems, he just ignored me and kept pounding away on the fact I didn't buy from a dealer as if that was the root cause of the cobra's malfunction. It was so bad that a buddy with me just looked at me like "What the heck is wrong with this guy?!?!" and we both vowed never to go back there again.

This is actually the second similar experience I have had like this, but the first person was more of a store clerk/maybe newb asst. instructor type that hadn't seemed to be in the industry that long, so I don't count her.

I am not calling the dealers outright lairs. They may very well not have any experience with it, but I am finding it harder to believe with the number of people posting similar failures here and the defensive reaction I got.

Well I've had my second Vyper go, first one had me at 130 - 140m in my hotel in Cairns, and after removing and replacing the battery failed to give any sort of depth while diving. The second had me at 8m while by the pool. I've left it at the shop I started working at to sort out hopefully they'll be able to get something arranged.

Can you verify? Are you using a Vyper or a Vyper 2. Thx

Both were the original Vyper. I'm waiting for a response from Suunto about this, had the unit sent back from the shop I work out of. The first unit failed after 37 Dives, the second lasted for 81 dives. I had been looking at purchasing a replacement, was going to go with a D9 but this experience has left me questioning whether I should trust another Suunto computer or if it would be better to look at an alternative manufacturer.

I own a D9 serial # 5510297X, purchased it 2 years ago from an authorized dealer which had it in stock for at least a year before I bought it. Have made 140 dives without error. Battery started to show low after 110 dives. Turned it into a Suunto dealer in Hong Kong for a software update and battery change and now I have more issues. The USB connection into the D9 is not making a solid connection. (I think the tec that worked on the unit may have messed it up). The other problem is that after just 5 dives with a one week old battery, it again showed low. I did not think I was going to even get through my 1 week dive trip with my fresh battery. This put me on edge for all my dives on that trip. However, I followed Tec Trimix dive plans so just used it in gauge mode and was not relying on it for deco commitment data.

I have used the transmitter for rec diving and have enjoyed the data which seems accurate after reviewing the downloaded dive profile in exception of water temp. I know I have never been in 33c water at depth.

What really bothers me is that I have attempted to contact Suunto concerning proper repair and I have not been able to get anyone on the phone or respond to numerous emails.

I have learned so far that the safest way to dive is to have redundant depth equipment and timers with training to know where I should be and when without needing to look at a fancy watch to tell me.

I really do like the D9 but cant stand the complete lack of customer care from Suunto.

Cheers,
A Chanster

Thank you. I am evaluating a Suunto computer vs a Cressi Archimedes. The Suunto are getting beat up badly on the board not only from reliability but customer service, ....

I own a D9 serial # 5510297X, purchased it 2 years ago from an authorized dealer which had it in stock for at least a year before I bought it. Have made 140 dives without error. Battery started to show low after 110 dives. Turned it into a Suunto dealer in Hong Kong for a software update and battery change and now I have more issues. The USB connection into the D9 is not making a solid connection. (I think the tec that worked on the unit may have messed it up). The other problem is that after just 5 dives with a one week old battery, it again showed low. I did not think I was going to even get through my 1 week dive trip with my fresh battery. This put me on edge for all my dives on that trip. However, I followed Tec Trimix dive plans so just used it in gauge mode and was not relying on it for deco commitment data.

I have used the transmitter for rec diving and have enjoyed the data which seems accurate after reviewing the downloaded dive profile in exception of water temp. I know I have never been in 33c water at depth.

What really bothers me is that I have attempted to contact Suunto concerning proper repair and I have not been able to get anyone on the phone or respond to numerous emails.

I have learned so far that the safest way to dive is to have redundant depth equipment and timers with training to know where I should be and when without needing to look at a fancy watch to tell me.

I really do like the D9 but cant stand the complete lack of customer care from Suunto.

Cheers,
A Chanster

You should contact Suunto (Aqua Lung) in Carlsbad Ca....I've always gotten thru and they are most helpful (I have also left messages and they always return a call)....I've called them at least a dozen times in the last couple of years on software issues to understanding a computer function.

I have a D9 and a Cobra. Never had a problem with either other than having to send in the D9 for that fix when they first came out.

You should contact Suunto (Aqua Lung) in Carlsbad Ca....I've always gotten thru and they are most helpful (I have also left messages and they always return a call)....I've called them at least a dozen times in the last couple of years on software issues to understanding a computer function.

I have a D9 and a Cobra. Never had a problem with either other than having to send in the D9 for that fix when they first came out.

Thanks Travelnsj,
What number did you use to reach Suunto (Aqua Lung)? Feel free to send PM. I will have to be lucky to catch them because I doubt they will call me back being that I'm stuck working in China....hey someones got to make the crap.

Cheers,
A Chanster

Thanks Travelnsj,
What number did you use to reach Suunto (Aqua Lung)? Feel free to send PM. I will have to be lucky to catch them because I doubt they will call me back being that I'm stuck working in China....hey someones got to make the crap.

Cheers,
A Chanster

Just PM'ed you with the info. Plus I called them to make sure the 760 # was correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom