Beware!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubarus66

Contributor
Reaction score
"It's always better down where it wetter..."
# of dives
50 - 99
AMERICANS BEWARE!!!!!
If anyone is planning on traveling to La Romana Dominican Republic don't stay at either Viva Wyndham Palace or at the Beach properties... It's doesn't cater to Americans... Stayed a few weeks ago and it's is the rudest environment we have every stayed at.. European tourist are the rudest people ever we have ever encountered... there were only 6 couples registered at the Palace resort when we stayed there...
This was a second choice because Iberostar didn't have our dates... Dressel's dive shop is located in there property and they run an awesome shop....

tenniscourts.jpg

PC105785.jpg

It isn't really any big secret that Americans aren't very popular around the planet.

Still, you'd think they'd at least be courteous to their paying guests no matter where they're from.

I sat in a Borneo jungle once listening to some Canadian girl bash on Americans for about 3 hrs! I hoped and prayed for a python to come along & strangle the life out of her, but it never happened.

It isn't really any big secret that Americans aren't very popular around the planet.

Still, you'd think they'd at least be courteous to their paying guests no matter where they're from.

I sat in a Borneo jungle once listening to some Canadian girl bash on Americans for about 3 hrs! I hoped and prayed for a python to come along & strangle the life out of her, but it never happened.

At least you understood what they were saying...:)

I stayed there a few years ago and had absolutely no problem with anything there. People were nice, the dive shop was professionally run and the restaurants were enjoyable. I guess it's when you hit it. Sorry yours was not like ours.

I stayed there a few years ago and had absolutely no problem with anything there. People were nice, the dive shop was professionally run and the restaurants were enjoyable. I guess it's when you hit it. Sorry yours was not like ours.

thanks for your post... We have found out that they market more to the European markets... Food was okay, I wouldn't suggest the $20 up charge to eat at Atlantis restaurant.....

It is true that Viva caters more towards Europeans, but we had many clients that stayed there and didn't have any problems, we had few that complained about luck of English at the resort. Not too many people speak English (maids and maintenance crew), but at the desk you shouldn't have any problem communicating.
But there are more resorts on the same strip of the beach, Live Canoa is getting popular among North American tourists, or you can always try Dreams La Romana in Bayahibe about 5 minutes from Dominicus where Viva is. Sorry to hear you didn't like the hotel, at least the diving part was good :)

I've spent a fair bit of time traveling to places that have largely European clientele over the years, although I've never stayed where you wrote about. I've found Europeans to be fairly friendly if you don't project an attitude typical of some American tourists.

I have not stayed at th Wyndham in DR. Over the past 20+ years, from the Pacific Rim to the Caribbean, I have met many Europeans, Canadians, Japanese and American divers. Still friends with many of them today. On the dive boat, shore or at the bar, stories of the ugly American always come up. I portrait the good, American Ambassador attitude to leave a lasting impression on my new friends, I live by that. :):)

It is certainly no secret that Europeans can be rude either. I have always thought it should be legal to hunt French people. Maybe even made mandatory.

Whilst some of the things that America does may not be popular globally, Americans for the most part are known to be a very friendly race and usually make for pretty good company (although they normally don't speak many languages).

That said, when I was at La Romana in 2009 I didn't encounter the sort of hostility you imply (I am the only non-American in my family), and my sons made good friends with some Italian kids of the same age despite not speaking a word of the same language. Maybe you just hit a bad day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom