BHB and Slack Tide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDean59

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son and I dove BHB on August 9th and started the dive one hour before high tide (around 4:00). We spent some time going to the sailboat and around that area. We then took a reciprocal heading to shore and then followed a west heading towards the west span of the bridge. When we got to about the second pylon, we noticed the current pulling us towards the fishing pier. If anyone that has dove the bridge could offer any suggestions as to what we may have done wrong, I would greatly appreciate the advice. I can't wait to get back to the bridge and try again. We had a great time and were still able to see some pretty neat marine life.

Thanks in advance for any advice on our next dive at the bridge.

Ya did fine!! I would let the tide carry me along to the fishing pier or hide out of the current behind one of the bridge piers or swim at an angle into the current out to the west wall/boat channel. Or a combination of those responses to tides. We would probably select swimming into the current at an angle to go to the west, then at slack tide go along the west wall and then over to the fishing pier and explore the rubble under the pier. At the end of the slack period--ride the current from the fishing pier back toward your entry point.

Thanks Jim,

One of the other things that we may have done better is not to surface. I had a feeling that we were drifting towards the fishing pier so I surfaced to get my bearings. I may have done better if I would have stayed below the surface. It was our first time but my son and I definitely want to go back and try again sometime. Thanks for your encouragement.

Some areas of the BHB site may have boat traffic and a few will not have any boat traffic. Use caution ascending anywhere to the south of the big bridge. Out next to the boat channel is ok, under the fishing pier and between the two structures should be ok. But sailboats sometimes pass thru outside the designated channel and under the big bridge, doing so at high tide sorta eliminates the height advantage they gain using the alternate channel, so they shouldn't run thru there at high tide when divers are there. The sailboats should use this at low tide for another 2-3 feet of clearance..........Anyway, listen for motors before going up!!

We did listen for boat traffic. So if you were drifting towards the pier, would you have just let the current pull you to a certain extent? We were just not sure how much we would be in the way of the fishermen from the pier.

There is a chance of getting hooked. But much of the time there are few if any people fishing from the pier. At least 1 local dive shop recommends staying away from the fishing pier, but we dive it during almost all of our trips there. The rubble pile under the north side of the fishig pier is not to be missed--a ton of critters there!! And one can dive it and stay under the pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom