BIBR Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlove

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any information or ever stayed at the Bay Island Beach Resort. They have a good web site. It looks very inviting, but web sites can be misleading.

:livid:

Thanks,
mike:livid:

Doc,

I appreciate your reply. I'll take that as negative for the Bay Island Beach Resort.

Thanks
mike

Mlove....I second Doc's recommendation of CoCo View Resort. Built and run BY divers FOR divers! 32 more days and we'll be there for our 4th time...definately won't be our last :thumb:

I was watching the Travel Channel last night and they ran a part from CoCo View. Looked like the place to be if you want to Dive Dive Dive! I'd stay there, and probably will next March.

CoCo view was my first choice, but some of these other resorts are considerably cheaper. Fantasy Island is alot cheaper, but I have heard some bad things about them. If I shop to long I am not going to have a choice.

mike

Originally posted by mlove
CoCo view was my first choice, but some of these other resorts are considerably cheaper. Fantasy Island is alot cheaper, but I have heard some bad things about them. If I shop to long I am not going to have a choice.

mike

From talking to folks who have chosen their Roatan resort destinations mostly by the price it seems you get what you pay for!

I stayed at FI last month and had a good experience. I also heard the nightmare stories but had some friends who were there in December and gave a good report so we decided to try it. The only thing that was sub par by my standards was the room. It was clean but the furnishing were older and had seen better days. I posted a full report under KC_Scubabunny's Roatan Report in this forum. Feel free to ask me anything you might have questions about.

I have also heard nothing but great things about CoCo View and don't believe that you could go wrong there but I believe FI is still a viable option.

Just my humble opinion.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

I would:

1. Concur with Doc V's recommendations re CoCoView and AKR (you can't go wrong with either facility!).

2. Note that that BIBR is not as nice as CCV and AKR.

3. Echo both the + and - comments re FI. Compared to what was originally going to be Roatan's first really upscale resort, FI has slid downhill. I've talked with visitors and locals who've had some less than pleasant experiences. But then there is some beautiful wall right there at FI.

Please understand that the travel experience to the Bay Islands (or any less developed site) is largely a function of (1) your expectations and (2) your flexibility in the face of adversity and unfulfilled expectations. If you expect US-style luxury, you will be disappointed. If you can embrace the luxury of simple, friendly staff, you will find yourself spoiled to a degree that no Ritz-Carlton could ever achieve. If you expect Grupo Taca to be on-time, you will be disappointed. If you expect to get diverted overnight to El Salvador or La Ceiba or stuck in Tegu or San Pedro Sula, you will get to spend a wonderful half day or evening in a uniquely engaging place. If you expect all of your baggage to arrive in Roatan with you, you will be disappointed. If you take shorts, a swim suit, your mask, regulator, and dive computer with you on the plane as carry on, you'll be pleasantly ovewhelmed by staff checking with you re any loaner gear you may need just to make sure you don't miss even one dive. With the right attitude, there is little on the island of Roatan that falls short of outstanding! But that's just one man's opinion . . .

Back
Top Bottom