Bicycle Repair kit to fix Latex Wrist Seal ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buds

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all

I was wondering if it is possible to Repair a Latex Wrist Seal with a 1nch cut.. The tear is Not at the begining of the seal but futhur down toward the arm.. I have asked around and some people are suggesting i get a bicycle repair kit and try that before sending the Flex 50/50 suit to Dui..

I also use the Si 5 glove system on 90% of my dives... this is the one with the Big Clunky ring and it still seals the wrist from leaking without the wrist seals... so i can still dive ... i was wondering if i could do the repair myself

Any one got any suggestions???

thanks Rob

Latex is a polyisoprene and is very similar to the butyl rubbers that they use for bicycle innertubes. A bicycle tube repair kit should do the trick and I would recommend trying it. Please report back.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but I am a chemist, dive dry, and ride a bike!

buds:
Hey all

I was wondering if it is possible to Repair a Latex Wrist Seal with a 1nch cut.. The tear is Not at the begining of the seal but futhur down toward the arm.. I have asked around and some people are suggesting i get a bicycle repair kit and try that before sending the Flex 50/50 suit to Dui..

I also use the Si 5 glove system on 90% of my dives... this is the one with the Big Clunky ring and it still seals the wrist from leaking without the wrist seals... so i can still dive ... i was wondering if i could do the repair myself

Any one got any suggestions???

thanks Rob

The bicycle tube repair kit can work quite well.. Just make sure you apply the patch correctly as you dont want the suit to flood. I have personaly not used that method, but i have user electrical tape to repair a tear like that in the past.. It held for 6 dives before I finaly got around to replacing the seal myself..

As to sending your suit off to DUI, I would recomend you just go to there website and check out there repair manuals and do it yourself.. Its pretty easy to do and costs allot less than having them do it for you.

Phil

Ok i finaly found a store that sells bicycle repair kits.. This one consists of Patches that appear to be the perfect size for the tear.

1. So all i do is apply the patches to boths sides of the tear
using the material suppied and the rubber cement provided
this kit cost $2.99 (as per instructions on package)

OR

2. Should i use latex or bicycle inner tube material and
use something like Aquaseal as a selant. Dive shop gave me 2
tubes of AquaPatch (zeagle) at $20.00 Ouch!! (looks like the AquaPatch
does NOT require any material to hold torn ends together other than tape
which is the pulled of when the seal is made.

OR

Some Combination of the 2

Thanks again Rob

If you use the bicycle patch:

1. rough the area around the tear with the little piece of sandpaper.
2. put on the rubber cement and spread it around to a circle slightly bigger than the patch.
3. let the rubber cement dry thoroughly *very important*
4. peel the backing off the patch and press onto the dry contact cement.

I don't think you need to do it on both sides, but what the heck, it can't hurt.

I've never used AquaPatch, so I can't advise you there.

Duct tape or, as Phylo says, electrical tape works in a pinch.

I would recomend you only apply the patch to one side of the tear.. And I would not use the Aquaseal. YOu want the seal to be able to stretch and if you apply to many patches and then Aquaseal you are setting it up so that a much smaller area is going to be taking all the stress and the chances of it tearing again in a different location go way up.

Good luck
Phil

buds:
Ok i finaly found a store that sells bicycle repair kits.. This one consists of Patches that appear to be the perfect size for the tear.

1. So all i do is apply the patches to boths sides of the tear
using the material suppied and the rubber cement provided
this kit cost $2.99 (as per instructions on package)

OR

2. Should i use latex or bicycle inner tube material and
use something like Aquaseal as a selant. Dive shop gave me 2
tubes of AquaPatch (zeagle) at $20.00 Ouch!! (looks like the AquaPatch
does NOT require any material to hold torn ends together other than tape
which is the pulled of when the seal is made.

OR

Some Combination of the 2

Thanks again Rob

ScubaSarus:
Wont applying the patch to both sides interrupt the seal against the wrist?

Depends on where the tear is. Unless it's close to the edge, which isn't likely or it would have torn through, it shouldn't interfere with the seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom