Big animals in the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did a shark dive with Ocean Frontiers off East End about 10 yrs ago - reef sharks. They have stopped offering that dive, but you can see them from time to time. Have also heard about the hammerhead off North wall, but never seen myself...

Well, everyone seems to have an opinion on THIS subject - thanks, all!!! Personally, I am NOT really interested in seeing sharks. Ever. Eventually it will happen, and we will see how I handle it (I figure to burn through about 1500 psi the first time!). Unexpected close encounters with pushy ramoras in Bonaire were enough to convince me that shark look-alikes were scary enough...

My wife used to feel pretty much the same way as you. One day we were diving The Maze on the East End when we saw 2 Reef Sharks. They would swim by,drop down onto the wall then come by again. The Oceans Frontiers staff knew them by name (Nicky and Hook. One had a nick out of a fin,the other at one time had a fishhook in its mouth.)

Rather than being scared she was just in awe of their beauty.

My wife used to feel pretty much the same way as you. One day we were diving The Maze on the East End when we saw 2 Reef Sharks. They would swim by,drop down onto the wall then come by again. The Oceans Frontiers staff knew them by name (Nicky and Hook. One had a nick out of a fin,the other at one time had a fishhook in its mouth.)

Rather than being scared she was just in awe of their beauty.

Ah, good old Hook. I haven't seen him/her for quite a while. Anyone know if Hook is still around?

We were also in Little Cayman a few weeks ago; see my trip report also in this forum. We were thrilled to see lots of reef sharks, several nurse sharks, and many, many turtles. Large grouper were abundant, and it was a grouper that caused a minor problem for us - not a shark, lol. There were also abundant 'cuda, ranging from small to a very, very large nearly black barracuda very attached to a particular spot, and intimidating enough that we dared not get close enough for a really good shot.

Attachments

• P8161756.jpg
    P8161756.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 70
I've seen 2 hammerheads off the north wall (2 different trips) as well as quite a few eagle rays and a couple of reef sharks in maybe 100 dives in GC.

One dive my computer was 'acting up' (and read a depth of 60 feet at 30 feet, 90 at 60, etc). I spent most of the dive pretty much as a 'safety stop'. Interestingly, I could see eagle rays in the distance swim up to within 50 feet of the divers below me, sense their bubbles, etc, and turn around. Most of them were not seen by the other divers. I thought it was interesting. It implies there may be LOTS of big animals in the area but we never see them.

I saw both hammerheads right off the wall almost as soon as I got in (I always try to get in first and yes I go down right away).

Point is that big things are there. Some are seen more at particular times of the year (ex, more eagle rays late summer). They might not be hanging out around 'the crowds' much, but they are there.

I've been to the Caymans enough times and would agree with your friend that there are less sharks to be seen in the Caymans than in the Pacific. I've seen in Cayman, blacktip, lemon, bull and hammerhead as well as mantaray but if you dive Australia or PNG you will have times when there are silvers and grays that can overwhelm you.

File0021.jpg

File0389.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom