Big banner ads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone else gotten any big graphic banner ads between the SB toolbar and the first post in the thread? I got one a few minutes ago, but haven't gotten another.

I think it's kinda rude to spring something like this without even a news post or anything.

Yes, it started with the new template.

Instead of a banner next to the Scubaboard logo, it just got moved down...

No biggy to me...

i dont mind any banner adds. IMHO i would much rather see then than have to pay to be able to come here. dont get me wrong, i think this board is worth paying to be on and if it came down to it, i would be one of the first to send a few bucks to help out. these sites dont run themself and it does cost money to keep them up.

steve

Banner ads? Sorry, I filter those out. What are we advertising?

Banner ads, like em, tolerate em, or hate em, they enable us to continue on. There is a larger ad in "exposure suits" but no where else. For those of you who help support us by tolerating these ads, a big
Scubaboard THANKYOU!

The ad jonnythan is referring to resides in the Exposure Suit sub-forum only and is a campaign for a new advertiser we just acquired. When we started this campaign we realized the ad would not fit next to our logo thus it resides below the navigation bar; this is not something we plan to do often and is something we allow for very targeted campaigns only. Remember, we do not run nor will we ever, run any sort of popup or popbehind so fitting in campaigns gets a bit tricky at times.

FYI glbirch, a large number of sites have started filtering out users who filter out their ads (automatically), I don't see any reason to that here but I wanted to make you aware.

Can I ask how many days a 50,000 impressions campaign lasts? The advertising is starting to pick up speed, but I recall some of the initial ads only lasted a day or so before they seemed to just run out and disappear - isn't there something like 3,000,000 page impressions a day?

Do you have any way yet to control geographical targeting of ads using say the IP address of the logged in member? Sort of like how Google Adwords can limit ads to be distributed to a specific region.

Scubaroo - we can control just about everything we want to control from geotargeting to forum/page targeting to only showing ads for users of a particular group. As far as run time, most of our ad campaigns cap the number of displays per user and per day so one person doesn't see the same ad 500 times (although it may seem like you do). Right now our top ad region isn't running while I keep playing with the templates. And no, we don't get 3,000,000 impressions a day... but we're working on it :wink:

Tech Admin:
The ad jonnythan is referring to resides in the Exposure Suit sub-forum only and is a campaign for a new advertiser we just acquired. When we started this campaign we realized the ad would not fit next to our logo thus it resides below the navigation bar; this is not something we plan to do often and is something we allow for very targeted campaigns only. Remember, we do not run nor will we ever, run any sort of popup or popbehind so fitting in campaigns gets a bit tricky at times.

FYI glbirch, a large number of sites have started filtering out users who filter out their ads (automatically), I don't see any reason to that here but I wanted to make you aware.

Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried as I trap the banners, pop-ups, moving gifs, ads and what-not locally. But as it's an automated filter I'm often not aware that something was filtered.

Back
Top Bottom