Big guy needs some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm slightly taller than you, had similar weight (been working on losing some, with some success), & wasn't enthused with a strap added to a BCD. So after a bunch of online searching I bought an XXXL (3x) BCD by Amer-Sea and I just did some online searching & you can see it here:

http://www.look4quality.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=L&Product_Code=417

Now, I believe those orange 'handles' on the BCD pockets are supposedly to let you emergently ditch weight. Didn't seem to work with mine; tried it once trying to detach weights to hand them up on a dive boat.

I do like that it's weight-integrated. When I did my first open water certification dives wearing a 5 mm wet suit & a rental 2XL BCD at Vortex Springs in Florida (~ 68 degree water), I discovered that wearing a weight belt I spun uncontrollably like a slow top, and the belt would slide off me (seeing as how in a wet suit I was shaped like a slick bowling pin) unless I kept it high up enough it was on my lower chest, not my abdomen. Not good.

So now I use the 3XL Amer-Sea. During one dive the BCD purge valve got stuck & kept letting air flow out, but I fooled with it awhile & that seemed to straighten out.

I haven't compared this brand directly against competitors because a BCD that fits has big (no pun intended) advantages over one that doesn't, & I was glad to finally find one.

Richard.

I second this recommendation- the Seasoft BCs only come in two sizes, since they are nearly infinitely adjustable for torso length and girth. It's too bad they don't have their print ad on the website, they show the same BC on two different divers, one 2 10yrs old, and the other about 25, with a difference of 150# between them, wearing the same size BC adjusted for them. Bruce Justinen is a member of my local dive club and has done presentations, plus I saw a demo of these BCs at the Underwater Sports Dive Fair this summer. Looked great for bigger folks, and fully adjustable if your size changes or someone wants to borrow it,
gomi_

Dive Right In Scuba:
Another solid BC thats fully adjustable is:

http://seasoftscuba.com/products.php?productid=SSPBC

One of our bigger guys at the shop uses this and fell in love with it. Im looking to bring them in for rental BCs for a one size fits all BC....They really are excellent quality....can even add doubles :wink:

Mike

Zeagle Backplate, with Zipcord weight pockets, rear trim pockets and ranger bladder. Call Zeagle to give measurements and get the proper sizing.

Offshore....

Being a BBD (Big Beautiful Diver), I have to second some of the suggestions on here.....

Zeagle is GREAT because it is a component fit, especially if you are looking for "tradtional" wt integrated pockets.

Along with the Probe, check out the Sherwood Avid, they seem to have a generous cut, as do some of the Seaquest BCs.

I have recently went to a back plate and wing and have to admit---it is great. I don't use it for teaching, but for my own recreational diving--it can't be beat!!

Pat

Seconding the Zeagle and DiveRite, and BP&W options. I'm 6'5" 275# and don't come close to using the largest size Transpac waistband or shoulderstraps. I've not used any Zeagles. But, it should be possible to make a backplate and wing fit you. Just keep in mind, that if you choose the BP&W, donning and doffing can be a little bit more of a trick than a bc that has adjustable should straps.

My 2 pennies

I saved the money and bought a stratus from scubaL.com and it works grea ad is very similar to Zegal. I am 6/4 290 and only problem I run into is that with a shorty my xxl is almost tto big but with a 7ml it fits perfect. If you go with a BC get yourself a crotch strap or do what I am going to do and get yourself a BPW.

Hey man, definitely go Zeagle. I'm 6' 320 (former powerlifter as well) and I dive a Zeagle Brigade, size XXL. Fits like a charm. Goto www.scubatoys.com, they will make adjustments to the shoulders/waist to fit your body type.

Good luck man.

I forgot to add to think about what kinf of diving your going to do when decieding between a BPW or a BC. If you are going to do any spearfishing or like to treasure hunt then stick with a BC. I like to spearfish and search for little treasure where I dive so I like that aspect of a BC because of all of the pockets.

Just an update on my earlier post here, I decided to go with a BP/W setup. I spoke with my LDS and they set me up with an Apeks BP and a DiveRite Recwing. I have since purchased my mfs, and a regulator set. I have completed my O/W classroom and pool sessions and will be doing my O/W checkout dives in early April. I just wanted to thank everyone here for your posts and your help.

OffshoreMedic

A rec wing? I'm sure you've heard the expression "Jack of all trades, master of none." That's the rec wing. Dive Rite is trying to make a wing that can handle singles and doubles and does neither very well (at least that's the conventional wisdom, never dove one myself but it does seem quite oversized). I would suggest a wing that is designed specifically for singles. Dive-Rite's version would be the venture wing I believe. There are a bunch of other manufactures that make popular singles wings (that will all work with your backplate) including Oxycheq, Halcyon and Agir-Brokk.

Since you probably haven't gotten in wet yet, I imagine you can exchange it if you like.

I doubt you'll be miserable in it but I believe there are better options out there.

Back
Top Bottom