Big Heavy tanks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your consumption isn't that bad at 17 L/min/atm, even moreso for a very new diver. Give it time. As you learn to slow down, stop using your hands/arms, and just relax, it will drop.

Another trick is to stay a couple meters shallower than your buddy until your consumption improves. Have a conversation with them, and it might not even be an issue in their mind. Otherwise, position yourself where you're still visible even though a little shallower.

Take your time to truly relax and catch your breath on the surface just before descending. Even if that means floating still at the down line for 3-5 minutes before putting the reg in your mouth. When I do this it saves a remarkable amount of gas. The exertion of gearing up, getting in, and acclimating to cold water gets your breathing rate up more than you realize. Taking some time to visualize and think through all the steps of a successful dive helps mentally as well.

That said, I'm also a big fan of steel high pressure 120cf tanks. They dive well and "nobody ever died from bringing too much air". If you need big tanks, and you are tall and strong enough to carry big tanks, they're a perfectly reasonable solution.

120"s dive like ****.

Your story sounds similar to mine. I bought a 12l cylinder (178mm diameter, not the dumpy) when I first started to dive. I soon realised that the air wasn’t lasting as long as the other divers. So after 3 months of diving I bought a 15l 228 bar cylinder. This extra 25% of air solved the problem. I used this cylinder until deeper diving required more air so bought a 2 x 10l twinset.

To your second part. Using a larger heavier cylinder does not necessarily mean carrying less lead. It is to do with how positively or negatively buoyant the cylinder is when empty. The 15l Heiser cylinder I used was about 4kg heavier than a modern Faber. Although I could remove lead from my weight belt, it did not make it more pleasant to dive with. It had a tendency to want to flip me onto my back.

I notice that might be a problem of anxiety, explaining, I run through the first 50 bars, from 200 to 150 very fast, then I start to breath more calmly and air tends to last a bit more.

There’s two opposite ways you can go about this:

One, a larger tank will give you more ‘air’. More air is not likely to give you *less* time, though it will probably give you less time than you think it will, because of the drawbacks that that larger tank brings. But in the grand scheme of things it’s really not going to hurt you to have a larger tank. Of course, buying one is expensive, and they’re very unwieldy — if not downright difficult — dealing with them on land and especially a boat, but it is likely to give you at least a little bit more time.

Two, a larger tank is an equipment solution to a skills problem. Like someone asked, and like you seem to acknowledge in my quote above, are you a new diver? If so, then your problem is not the amount of gas that you bring with you. It’s the amount of gas that you use unnecessarily while you’re there. :) The stress and anxiety of being in an unforgiving environment, that is completely foreign to our experience and capabilities on the surface is difficult, and it takes time to be able to master the environment and your mental or emotional state. And gaining mastery over each of those are very closely related. :)

As many have stated or alluded to, as you gain experience you will gain familiarity, which will lead to comfort and lower gas consumption. But you can do much to accelerate this. First thing I would encourage you to focus on getting your weight correct. I’m not going to bother to outline exactly how to do that: do some searching on scubaboard and you’ll find 1000 posts talking about it. But until your weight is within a couple of pounds of correct, that will directly affect your ability to be consistently stable in the water without propulsion. And if you need propulsion from your legs – or even worse, you’re using your hands – to stay stable in the water, that’s nothing but wasted gas every second of the dive.

A second very closely related thing is: get your propulsion correct. The biggest factor in that: being horizontal in the water. If you are at an angle in the water, every fin kick will push you both forward and *up*. Your upward movement will make you think you are too light — after all, you’re drifting upward! That will cause you to keep yourself overly negative in the water, which means as soon as you stop finning you will drop. That means you can never stop finning. Go back to point number one right above: that causes you to have to waste gas every second of your dive.

Like I said, there’s only 1000 posts out there talking about all of this. But as a new diver, it’s a great deal to have to work on, and unfortunately you kind of have to do it all at once. Give yourself permission: this will take time. And like others have said, if your buddies are impatient with you, you will either need to ignore them or find new buddies. This will take time.

But in the interim, if you have access to a larger scuba tank that can be made to work without too much of a difficulty, there probably isn’t that much of a disadvantage in using it. If I were diving with someone who is a new diver and if there was an aluminum 80 and a steel 100 between the two of us, I would try to put them in the 100 and me and the 80. why not? That helps both of us.

But just know that this will get better. I was someone who was consistently dragging people out of the water on boat dives as well. And I too was looking longingly at a 130 ft.³ tank, thinking I needed that in order to be able to stay down as long as everyone else. But they were so expensive I didn’t actually buy one. And now I’m really glad I didn’t. It is completely unnecessary. Time, experience and additional training got me to the point where I was in the average area for gas consumption, which is just fine with me.

Now, how long did that take? About 100 dives. Unfortunately, I didn’t have mentors that could really help me to really focus on improving my actual diving quality, so it just kind of came along by trial and error and accident. It doesn’t have to take that long. But just know: it will take a while, and Unless you put focused effort into it, it might even be a long while. :) But it will come.

I notice that might be a problem of anxiety, explaining, I run through the first 50 bars, from 200 to 150 very fast, then I start to breath more calmly and air tends to last a bit more.
Cold water vs surface temp will drop tank pressure, that is some of it.
If you can rest on the surface and do some nice controlled breathing to flush out co2 and slow yourself down when laying on your back. Also face in the water tends to help, And other trick that seems to help, is to "think sleepy". It seems to help slow everything down....

But sure get a big tank, it never hurt anyone.
120/130 cu ft are great.

I never quite get this question. Consumption during a dive is directly linked to how comfortable you are during the dive. First dive or thousandth dive.
New diver= less comfortable, more dives= more comfortable.
(Just as hard work, poor conditions etc make experienced divers less comfortable).
In the early stages of your diving life, you are probably better just getting the dives in (time on task) and letting yourself settle into it. Your endurance will improve over time.
Then, start looking for mechanical solutions for specific conditions.
I’ve been doing this a few decades now.
Single tank OW, warm. S80’s
Single tank OW, cold. 12ltr steels
Single tank Wreck, warm. 15ltr steel. (+s40 bailout)
Wreck, cold. Twin 12ltr steel.
The s80s become my stages as required.

Anyway, theres still no fixed duration, **** happens, so you dive to your consumption on the day. If you have a buddy that gets upset because you’re using too much air on any particular dive, find a new buddy.

Gas consumption is very closely linked to experience; the more you dive, the better you get at diving, the more efficient you become in the water, the more comfortable you are, the less stressed you are... == you consume less gas.

Divers who consume very little gas tend to be very efficient in the water.
  • They will have flat trim so there's less resistance to water.
  • They will have good finning techniques so are more efficient with propulsion and won't be flapping legs and arms around; one kick takes them a long way
  • Their buoyancy will be bang on, so they're not constantly adjusting their BCD and breathing for buoyancy.
  • They will be correctly weighted which makes a massive difference to the gas you use in your BCD.
  • They will be comfortable in the water, less stress means less gas consumed
Core skills are key to diving: buoyancy, trim, finning. Good core skills means diving is so much more relaxing.

Ironically, stressing about your air consumption has a negative impact on air consumption.

Buddy with diver who has similar consumption. Let the team know you two will ascend together when you reach your rock bottom pressure.

If you are going bigger, i like HP120s but they are better for guys 6'+.

Howdy to all, I have been monitoring my SAC and for the time being, a 12 liter tank goes from 200 bar to 70 bar in about 43-45 minutes at a depth of 11 meters to 12 meters, it is not wonderful, and I do have a lot to improve on my breath rate now that I'm approaching 24 dives, have 22 at the moment.

The thing is, I need to improve my longevity under water to accompany most of my buddies at those sorties that I've been doing, and I'm tempted to do an investment on a bigger tank, I've been seeing some huge ones, from 15 liters to 18 liters to even a mammoth 20 liter tank, I'm an heavy guy and I admit, I need to do a lot more exercise to be in shape, so, when I dive, even without a wetsuit I still need 4 kg's of led to at least .. sink, so my idea, and forgive me if it sounds silly "that's why I'm asking in the first place" is that if I have an heavy tank on my back I can avoid bringing led on my bcd and have more air, I am aware that buoyancy changes as the tank becomes depleted of air, so my idea is to invest in steel tanks.

I never tried something bigger than a 203 mm 12 liter tank "the fat one" so I ask for your knowledge, is a 18 liter or 20 liter to overwhelming to the balance of a diver? I am about 6 feet, does a tank as large as that one become to cumbersome to be of a efficient use?

Thank you for your atention!
I suggest my favourite size: 15 liters steel at 232 bars. A lot of air, well balanced, requires almost no weight on the belt...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom