Big Island (Kona) 5/14-5/21, Need Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfhike

New
Reaction score
Hello. I will be visiting the Big Island on May 14-21, 2005. This will be my first time on the Big Island. I'd like to do some shore diving. I am looking for dive buddies or a dive club.

Any leads appreciated!

Karin
sk0728@sbcglobal.net

You will have a blast! Look up shorediving.com for some good maps for shore diving. Book a manta dive, no buddy needed, you will have 100 of them but for this dive, more is betta! id be happy to show you around but Im back in Alaska right now. If you are not comftorable diving alone and can't find someone, hire a DM to show you around. Don't miss Two step. I have prolly close to 100 dives there alone. It is the best shore dive in Hawaii. If the weather cooperates and you have time, a day on the Hilo side diving is well worth the drive.Leleiwe Pt has the best, most populated turtle cleaning station I have ever seen. Not only quanity but the turtles are twice the size they are on the Kona side. Sitting still I counted 17 at once last week. A pic for ya!
Enjoy the island and Aloha!

Thanks for these great leads!

Wildcard:
You will have a blast! Look up shorediving.com for some good maps for shore diving. Book a manta dive, no buddy needed, you will have 100 of them but for this dive, more is betta! id be happy to show you around but Im back in Alaska right now. If you are not comftorable diving alone and can't find someone, hire a DM to show you around. Don't miss Two step. I have prolly close to 100 dives there alone. It is the best shore dive in Hawaii. If the weather cooperates and you have time, a day on the Hilo side diving is well worth the drive.Leleiwe Pt has the best, most populated turtle cleaning station I have ever seen. Not only quanity but the turtles are twice the size they are on the Kona side. Sitting still I counted 17 at once last week. A pic for ya!
Enjoy the island and Aloha!

Hey Wildcard, what do you think of Ke'ei for a dive spot? How about Kealakekua from the pier? And at Two Step, do you tend to go to the left or right?

Another thought we had was to do a night dive at Two Step. It seems like it would be a reasonable night shore dive. Ever done it? Any thoughts?

We're also thinking of hauling gear over to the Cook monument on kayaks. I've snorkeled over there a bunch, but never done a tank dive. Any thoughts?

Getting stoked! :D

Not Wildcard, but I have lots of dives in the area as it's just 5 minutes from home.

Ke'ei is a premier dive spot once you get to know it. You've got a couple of good spots to put in.

When you first see the water, there is a pull out large enough for 5-6 vehicles. You can get in off the lava fingers. You probably should only bother with this dive if it is pretty darned flat unless you are good at timing and climbing... some people are, some aren't. If you are poor on navigation, pass on this spot. The reef goes out for a long ways with lots of channels going various directions. Problem being you might find yourself a long ways from a decent exit if you miss your spot. I just did a straight out compass heading and vaired it on future dives 'til I got to know it.

A better, easier spot for most people is down the dirt road a couple hundred yards. There will be a pullout area with 2-3 picnic tables. There's an old canoe launch just to the south of the rock wall here and there's a cut in the lava by a tidepool straight out from the north picnic table that is pretty easy to get in and out of if it's not too rough. This area was protected from hurricane Iniki back in the early 90's and is probably some of the most extensive finger coral fields you'll find in Hawaii. There's also some small caves and archways to be found. You'll basically be in someone's front yard, so if you gotta pee, go in the water, not on their trees. Also haul out any garbage you bring in. The locals haven't been giving divers any grief yet and it would be nice to keep it that way.

Kealakekua Bay from the pier is a waste of time in comparison to Keei. Other than getting out it is an easy, shallow dive, but there are better dives in the area. If you want to do a shallow lobe coral dive go around to Manini Beach, easier entry (as long as there's no NW swell) and comparable structure/reef and fish life.

The Place of Refuge is far better than Manini, and a very nice dive. I'd put it as the best overall spot to hit if you aren't here for quite some time. The night dives here are very good. There's a light pole near the boat ramp with a 20 minute timer button so there's light when you gear up. It'll be VERY dark when you surface, so it helps to have surface support with lights if you don't know the spot well. I've seen bullseye lobsters, long handed lobsters, crocodile snake eels and other goodies here at night that you rarely see elsewhere.

I haven'tdone the dive at the monument in years. It used to be pretty mediocre below 15' of depth. I took the boat down there with Monty (who posts on this board) and he and my crew (Mike) really enjoyed it. I'm thinking if it's anything like the north face of Honaunau, it's probably grown back well in the last 5 years or so. --Iniki did a number on lots of SW facing shores, there are spots at Honaunau which were basically landslides in '99 and '00 which now have 6-10 inches of new finger coral growth. The monument may be a better dive now than it was 5 years ago. I'll probably trade out Captain's duties next time I'm down there so I can check it out.

Have fun,

Steve

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Hey Wildcard, what do you think of Ke'ei for a dive spot? How about Kealakekua from the pier? And at Two Step, do you tend to go to the left or right?

Another thought we had was to do a night dive at Two Step. It seems like it would be a reasonable night shore dive. Ever done it? Any thoughts?

We're also thinking of hauling gear over to the Cook monument on kayaks. I've snorkeled over there a bunch, but never done a tank dive. Any thoughts?

Getting stoked! :D

Hey Steve,

That's great! Great info! Muchas gracias! Mahalo! :D

We're staying in Napoopoo, so your pointers are all very much appreciated. I can't wait to try a night dive at Two Step. Also, Ke'ei, which I have never done. Great tip on the light pole! I didn't know about that.

Getting pretty darn excited...

Gregg

friscuba:
Ke'ei is a premier dive spot once you get to know it. You've got a couple of good spots to put in.

Have fun,

Steve

Steve, is Ke'ei off of that long, swoopy road connecting Napo'opo'o with the Place of Refuge? I always used to make the first turn-off down from the main road in Captain Cook and ended up at Napo'opo'o and then continued on that long semi-paved road to Honaunau (duuuhhh, I didn't take the more direct road down further south till much later). I was always more interesting trying to "fly" the rent-a-car over the rolling humps than look for dive sites along the way.

Ke'ei is off one of the first bumpy dirt roads you come to as you leave Napoopoo down that little road to Honaunau. At least according to shorediving.com. Like you, I always went to Kealakekua or Honaunau, but never in between. Glad I never encountered a flying rental car on that tiny road :wink:

I think the "Shore Dive'n the Big Island" book/site talks about Ke'ei, too, but Steve's description of the entry is the best I have seen.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Glad I never encountered a flying rental car on that tiny road :wink:

I think the "Shore Dive'n the Big Island" book/site talks about Ke'ei, too, but Steve's description of the entry is the best I have seen.

...once caught some serious air on the stretch just on the farside of Hana. I imagine the cows who saw it must've been thinking "'expletive', Bruddah is crazy!". Thank goodness the car rental people didn't check closely; I think I got all four wheels going in different directions -- that was a tough little car; it also survived the west-end of Maui (counter-clockwise Kahului to Kapalua via the northern belt road *before* it was paved; once drove a stretch with the passenger-side teetering and kicking stones down the ragged edge of the cliffs; once got passed by guys on horseback while scratching for traction up a hill). Outgrew doing that kind of stuff.... Not!

bluemagoo:
Steve, is Ke'ei off of that long, swoopy road connecting Napo'opo'o with the Place of Refuge? I always used to make the first turn-off down from the main road in Captain Cook and ended up at Napo'opo'o and then continued on that long semi-paved road to Honaunau (duuuhhh, I didn't take the more direct road down further south till much later). I was always more interesting trying to "fly" the rent-a-car over the rolling humps than look for dive sites along the way.

Ke'ei is on the 2nd dirt road past the villiage towards Honaunau. If you get as far as the Ke'ei transfer station you've gone about 50 yards past the road. the dirt road has it's share of potholes, just take it slow and most any passenger vehicle can make it down to the picnic tables.

Back
Top Bottom