Big Island/Kona diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubak

Contributor
Reaction score
My husband and I are trying to plan a trip at the end of Jan 09 to Kona...
We will be there Fri-Tues/Wed
I was there in 04/05 and am trying to remember the dive sites.
Thanks for any and all info...
Kirsten
Scubak@comcast.net

Hey scubak,

i will be going to kona from jan 17 to 23. i am not sure when you are going but it would be cool if i could go diving with you and your husband. jacksdivinglocker.com, konahonudivers.com, bigislanddivers.com. those are the only sites i have but still looking for other ones.

Chris

Check in with Big Island Divers. They really treated my wife and I very well. Jacks also has a great reputation as well and posts here frequently.

Have a great time and don't miss the manta dive.

That’s lotsa – all the dive sites. Jacks mooring book has over 50 boat dive sites around Kona alone.

The Franko map has dozens of sites listed, there's also a booklet that gives the GPS locations, names, and descriptions of all the submerged mooring balls. The various dive site books have a couple dozen of the most well known. Try this nearby thread for a small list
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/258332-top-dives-big-island.html
A Google search will bring up a lot of sites with dive site names and descriptions too.

Take me!

Whenever I'm on the west side of the island, I dive with Kona Honu Divers, especially to do the night manta dive. (That dive rates among my top 4 all-time best dives.) I like Kona Honu for this dive because they have as big a boat as anyone and a bigger boat than most. That makes it more convenient to pack up at night after the dive. Other than for the manta dive, I don't think I've been to the same site twice.

Hope im not thread jacking - Are there any locals in the Kailua area who do guided shore dives?

After the Canadian dollar tanked in the last month I have to rethink 3 days of boat diving...the trip to Oahu just cost short of a grand.

The trip in march is still on, but I hope to shave corners where I can and still enjoy what the Big Island has to offer.

Visited Kona on a cruise ship November '08 and dove with Dennis and Debbie on their 39' SeaRay.

The experience was so good, went back in September and dove with them again, nine dives in four days.

Probably not for the budget traveler, but if you want personalized treatment, these are the folks to dive with.

The snacks/lunch are home made, and better than great. One day they served guacamole made from fresh avocados that came from a tree in their back yard.

Both D & D know their critters and the Kona dive sites. As fairly new divers, we appreciate the helpful tips they provide to help with our diving skills.

For more info - Kona Coast Scuba Diving

And BTW, don't miss the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm located just a couple of miles from the Kona Airport. Hi-lites, both a leafy sea-dragon and a woody sea dragon are on display (google these guys).

Reservations required - your admission fee supports the Farm's research to develop captive breeding that takes the pressure off harvesting wild sea horses that typically die in aquariums after a short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom