Big Island/Oahu diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm finally getting around to planning a long desired trip to Hawaii and am trying to figure out the best diving options. I definitely want to head to the big island, as I'm a rock nerd by trade and want to go see volcanoes. But I'm just wondering what the best way to dive there is?

I understand there's a liveaboard option "Kona Aggressor", something that I'm looking into. Is that really worth the additional time/expense? Or would I get just as good dives by staying on the island and doing a few day trips out with one of the local operators (Jacks Diving Locker seems to get a good rap around here?), and splitting the time more evenly between the Big Island and Oahu and doing a few dives there as well?

What are the thoughts from those in the know? I have a total of ~10 days to play with I think. Looking to go in October if that makes any difference.

Cheers :coffee:

So your opinion is the liveaboard isn't worth the extra time?

Guess I'll start looking at the different dive shops to see what they offer.

Thanks!

The liveaboard is a nice trip from what I've heard. While it does spend a few days going to areas the dayboats typicall don't hit, there are plenty of nice dive sites that you can access by either shore or by the day boat operators, so the liveaboard is not the only way to go. The Big Island is a wonderful island, being nearly twice the size of the other major islands combined, there's plenty to do and see topside.

Oahu will have wrecks, which are not really found on the Big Island, but I think you'll find the reefs on the Big Island to be nicer than elsewhere in the chain for the most part.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I understand there's a liveaboard option "Kona Aggressor", something that I'm looking into. Is that really worth the additional time/expense? Or would I get just as good dives by staying on the island and doing a few day trips out with one of the local operators (Jacks Diving Locker seems to get a good rap around here?)
IMHO: the Aggressor is an expensive ride for the jaded. You are trapped on the boat for the duration. There is a huge island just beyond reach, waiting to be explored when not diving, and you can't do that. You would be selling yourself short not taking the time to see as much of the island as you can
and splitting the time more evenly between the Big Island and Oahu and doing a few dives there as well?
Lived for four years on Oahu and dove there. Some darn good diving, but were me, I might just spend a day or two there seeing all the topside stuff. The diving time should be spent on the BI. You will not miss much.

Kona has a lot of good dive ops. Friscuba runs Wanna Dive which gets lots of recommendations. A small, personal dive op. Jack's is very good too, at the opposite end of the the size spectrum, but that is not a drawback at all. Depends on what sort of op you are used to at home perhaps.

The Kona Aggressor is a great choice if diving is the main focus of your trip. As mentioned earlier, you will not be able to explore the rest of the island when not diving. With only ten days planned for your trip, I would stay on the island and you'll get much more exploration time. While you're on the Big Island, the Manta Ray Night dive is a must...don't miss that one. On Oahu, there is great wreck diving and some great shore diving on the North Shore this time of year.

When diving the big island, take into account the elevation of Volcano. It is like flying after diving. And you should plan on a down day before flying back to Oahu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom