Big Island Operator - Can't Remember name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jzipfel

Contributor
Reaction score
Last year a local recommended a smaller dive operator. They run further out and 4-6 people, 3 tank dives, and maybe operate south of Kona. Might even be a large rubber boat.

When I returned home, I looked them up and thought "I'll have to remember them next fall". Well, no such luck. I browsed through about 8 pages of the Hawaii forum and nothing rang a bell.

I thought the name had Pirate in it and it was a pretty small outfit.

Now that you have a very detailed description of this operator :), anyone know who in the hell I am talking about.

Thanks

Pacific Rim Divers has a small enough boat that they pull it out of the water. Welcome to Pacific Rim Divers, LTD Not a zodiac though. And they only do 2 tanks afaik.

Last edited:
I know Big Island Divers does what they call Long Range and head farther south than normal. I am not sure if it's a 2 or 3 tank dive. I have been very happy diving with Big Island Divers. You MUST do the Manta Ray Night dive also, Kona is one of the top 5 places in the world to dive with Mantas.

This was probably the French couple who had a small dive shop in Capt Cook. I was told they closed their business.

This was probably the French couple who had a small dive shop in Capt Cook. I was told they closed their business.

I think that was Seascape Diving aka Dive Esplongee (or something like that). They hydro'd some tanks for me before they closed. Never dove with them, but they seemed nice.

I forgot what their place was called but they fit the description. They had large red rubber boat. We rented tanks from them during two trips and like them. It is quite unfortunate that they are gone now.

Just in case anyone refers to this thread at a later date.

I got hold of the person who made the recommendation last year and yep, they are out of business.

I called all of the normal recommended operators about 3-tank longer range dives over the holidays. I went in knowing crowds and swells limits my options in December. None of the other operators were going to offer these trips in late December. However, I called Jacks (who i dove with last year) and asked if they might do their long range/advanced 3 tanks trips down south in December. As luck would have it one other person also requested. So right now we have three trips planned to south dive sites, 3 tanks. They need a minimum of 4 people so we just need one more person to sign up and its a go!

If your looking for dives like this rather than the typical dives out of the harbor give Jacks a call.

Just in case anyone refers to this thread at a later date.

I got hold of the person who made the recommendation last year and yep, they are out of business.

I called all of the normal recommended operators about 3-tank longer range dives over the holidays. I went in knowing crowds and swells limits my options in December. None of the other operators were going to offer these trips in late December. However, I called Jacks (who i dove with last year) and asked if they might do their long range/advanced 3 tanks trips down south in December. As luck would have it one other person also requested. So right now we have three trips planned to south dive sites, 3 tanks. They need a minimum of 4 people so we just need one more person to sign up and its a go!

If your looking for dives like this rather than the typical dives out of the harbor give Jacks a call.
Why not just rent 3 tanks and drive south? Unless you enjoy long boat rides, of course.

Why not just rent 3 tanks and drive south? Unless you enjoy long boat rides, of course.

A couple reasons i guess.
1) My wife and other son don't dive so I want them to have the car and enjoy the day any way they want
2) While my son and I are pretty good divers, safe and accomplished with navigation, I always prefer to have someone familiar with a dive site show me around before I dive it alone or with my son. Unless it is something protected like Two-Step. All of the sites are quite south of Capt Cook as best I understand.
3) my understanding of the sites planned right now are a fair distance from shore. One of the sites has swim throughs another is referred to as "Amiptheater". Most dives are described as 60-100 feet and then drop off from there.

If you have suggestions or are familiar with these sites I'm always open to alternatives.

You could dive the pier - your wife/other son could look around downtown while you do. I'm not sure if it's restricted if there's a cruise ship. Get tanks from Jack's - if you're staying somewhere south of town you'll go right by it.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Kailua-Bay of The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands
Mile Marker #4 is on the south end of Magic Sands beach if they're beach people. It shares the same parking lot - there's a short path at the south end.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Mile Marker 4 of The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom