Big Island - Private boat for group of 5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Searching online I found that Wanna Dive in Kona will do a private charter for up to 6 for a base price of $435. With 5 of us diving, that a good deal and would be great to have our own boat.

Does anyone know of any other operators that would do a private charter for 5 divers?

Can anyone tell me if they've done any boat dives with Wanna Dive? Their site seems to indicate that boat diving is fairly new for them. Two in our group are very new divers and one of the newbies is not very confident.

I've gotten some great info here so far. I'm going to Mexico in a few weeks but I'm already getting excited about the July trip to Hawaii.

Thanks!

Just got back from Kona on Sunday. A buddy and I did a manta night dive with Wanna Dive Kona and had a blast. We were the only divers on the boat, which was very nice. Steve's a real nice guy, and took good care of us. It was my first night boat dive, and he and Mike (his dive guide) spent some extra time helping me with the back-flip entry, signalling with the dive lights, etc.

And he has the brightest dive lights in town :D (the mantas love them).

By the way, where are you going in Mexico? I'm so jazzed about my Kona dive trip that I'm already planning my next one. I'm thinking La Paz....

mccabejc, thanks for the positive feedback on Wanna Dive. One of the people in our group has only 10 dives and it will be her first night dive, so good to hear that they were patient and helpful with you. Can I ask where you stayed on Hawaii, and did you do any other diving?

As for Mexico, we really love the Yucatan. And being in NY, it's an easy flt to Cancun. We go to Akumal once or twice a year. This trip we're staying at our favorite beach condo in Akumal for 4 nts and then heading over to Cozumel for another 4 nts. It will be my first Cozumel dives.

Hi:
I spent two weeks diving with Steve and Mike of Wanna Dive Kona and had a blast. Nice boat, good people - try them you'll like them. Take a look at my gallery for some of the pics of the two weeks in February
montyb

I stayed at the Kona Seaside, which gets some pretty bad reviews, but I found it to be very nice. Inexpensive, and right across the street from the Kailua Bay and Pier.

On my next trip I'm planning on staying at the King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel, which is right at the Kailua Pier (across from the Kona Seaside). There's a nice, public, sand beach out the back door of the King Kamehameha, and it leads to a very nice shore dive across from the pier. I'll gear up in my room, go down the elevator, walk out the back door and ease into the water for a nice easy dive.

Both hotels are right in the middle of town, easy walking distance to the supermarket, Wendy's, Pizza Hut, etc.

I would also HIGHLY recommend trying the shore diving around Kona (check out www.shorediving.com). Within about 5 miles there are about 5 very nice and easy dive sites. The cost is nothing more than a tank fill and some gasoline to get there. Also, consider taking the wanna-dive-kona.com night manta ray dive. It was wonderful !!!

scubawife:
mccabejc, thanks for the positive feedback on Wanna Dive. One of the people in our group has only 10 dives and it will be her first night dive, so good to hear that they were patient and helpful with you. Can I ask where you stayed on Hawaii, and did you do any other diving?

I was Jim's buddy and Wanna Dive was a good experience.
Apart from the shore dives I did with Jim, I also dove with Jack's Diving Locker (in Kona) on an advanced boat (a deep dive and experienced divers only). It's also a nice (but much larger) dive operation - they have 3 boats (6 , 12 and 12 people).

We stayed at Casa de Emdeko on Alii Drive (about 2 miles south of Kaiua Kona). It was nice and not too expensive ($85/night for a one bedroom condo).

You can see some of the pics I took in my gallery....hot and fresh from the press....

Erik

Thanks Erik. Nice pics! Did you prefer the shore dives or boat dives? My husband and I will likely do a bit more diving then our friends, but not sure yet if we'll do shore dives or just book ourselves with Wanna Dive or Jack's. I'll hit my 100th dive (in 2 1/2 yrs) in a few weeks in Mexico, and my husband has around 150. We've never done shore dives. All have been bought with lots of wall diving in the East End of Cayman, and great easy reefs in Akumal, MX.

Jim - I saw your post on the Cozumel board. We'll be there April 12-16th. I'll let you know what the diving and our dive op is like when we get back. My understanding is that it's mostly deeper diving and the wall dives are spectacular. The diving in Akumal is very nice. Boat dives, all reef, avg of about 50ft. Only a 5-10 minute boat ride and they go back to the beach between dives. Very light current and easy drift diving.

scubawife:
Thanks Erik. Nice pics! Did you prefer the shore dives or boat dives? My husband and I will likely do a bit more diving then our friends, but not sure yet if we'll do shore dives or just book ourselves with Wanna Dive or Jack's. I'll hit my 100th dive (in 2 1/2 yrs) in a few weeks in Mexico, and my husband has around 150. We've never done shore dives. All have been bought with lots of wall diving in the East End of Cayman, and great easy reefs in Akumal, MX.

Shore diving on Big Island (and locals can certainly give you more info) is easy (except when there is some NW or W swell but we've told it's rare). Shallow reefs and reef walls are really close to the shore (Two steps for example).

We did some shore diving because we have a 4 month old baby and that was the only good solution. I did a dive with Jim, then my wife did a dive with Jim and so there was all the time someone with the baby. Also if you have friends that are not intense divers but like snorkeling, that's a really good solution

Now, if you go on a boat, it's pretty neat: you're helped and taken care of, you are usually with a DM who knows the site and things to look for, you go to different dive sites (less accessible, deeper, etc...) but they are not that much better in my opinion and you got to spend a day on a boat (which I really love)....but you also spend much more money....

On shore dives: we saw an eagle ray, turtles, lots of reef fish (pics 11 through 25)..
Boat dives : pics (1 through 10 and then manta rays)...

So bottom line : I was happy because we did a mix between shore dives and boat dives and turned out really great.

Don't miss the manta ray dive (s)....

HI, I will be on the big island of Hawaii in May. What was your depth with Wanna Dive? Did they restrict you at all? I am looking for a dive operation that will cater to advanced divers. I do mostly Nitox diving and am looking for great sights and bottom time since my time on the island is very limited.
Thanks,
Lynn

lynnk:
HI, I will be on the big island of Hawaii in May. What was your depth with Wanna Dive? Did they restrict you at all? I am looking for a dive operation that will cater to advanced divers. I do mostly Nitox diving and am looking for great sights and bottom time since my time on the island is very limited.
Thanks,
Lynn

We did only the manta ray (a night dive) with Wanna Dive so I can't tell you about deep and nitrox diving with them but you can ask them if you want. I think Steve is on the board : friscuba

Another option if you want to go "advanced" given by gkndivebum from the board that leaves in Kona is DiveTEK Adventures / Kona Diving Adventure : http://www.konadivingadventures.com/

The third one that I did was with Jack's diving locker. Since they have 3 boats, one usually runs advanced dives (2 or 3 dives). Our first dive was at 110 feet and some people were diving nitrox...Nothing bad to say about Jack's Diving Lockers either....

There are probably other operations but that's mainly the 3 I heard of....

Hope this helps.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom