Big Island Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uzun

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about spending a month on the Big Island, and wanted to know what's the best area to stay at for decent shore diving? I would prefer to be close to Kona if that's the best area for shore dives. is there a mailing list of local divers on the big island maybe I could subscribe to in order to find diving buddies for my time there?

-Roger Uzun
San Diego, CA

If you are looking to visit during the winter I would recommend staying north of Kona, in the Waikoloa or Puako area. This is the most sheltered area on the island, with more reliable shore diving. In the summer? Take your pick, you will not go wrong either way. Check out the dark blue in the swell forecast charts...

SwellWatch 3D - Surf Report and Forecast

Anywhere along about a 80 mile stretch centered on the west side is great for shore diving. Air fills is another matter. I'd recommend staying in the Kailua Town area (main town south of the airport) for access to dive shops, and number of shore dive sites. North of there - Waikaloa and Puako as mentioned - doesn't have nearly the number of shops or shore-accessible sites, but what's available is probably adequate. There are a handful of sites down beyond Cook/Kealakekua that are really good, but only one air fill station that I know of, the Euro-shop at Kealakekua town. To me it's quite different between Kailua town and the Kohala area up north - weather, seas, amenities, lodging - so for a month that's something to consider.

I'm in Kailua now and had one week of the flattest wind and sea conditions I've ever experienced here, and now one week where one or two afternoons the surf and wind were up a bit. Not one day where everything was closed out, by any means. I don't think there's a really reliable rule of thumb over the short haul, but I've spent several 2-6 week trips here over the winter, and more days than not of good shore diving has been the rule.

When are you headed there? Lots of good diving from shore but seasons can make a difference. A month is a nice long visit though so any time of year you should be able to get some good bottom time. And don't forget the manta night dives!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom